PDA

View Full Version : broken coil spring on tire

alane2686
07-02-2014, 09:58 AM
while waiting for my friend to show up i jacked up my 01 v70 xc so that he could remove the front ds strut assembly and as i was doing that the coil came down and is now resting on/poking at the tire. it has not punctured the tire but im afraid of happening. is there anything that i can do that will help keep my tire? i just bought all new tires two and a half weeks ago. should i deflate the tire??

JRL
07-02-2014, 10:12 AM
You're FIRST supposed to jack up the car AND REMOVE THE WHEELS AND TIRES before you start work on it

alane2686
07-02-2014, 11:52 AM
i was jacking up the car. HAD NOTeven started doing anything just jacking it up.

JRL
07-02-2014, 12:02 PM
Never seen that before, the assembly usually stays together

volvospeed70
07-02-2014, 01:08 PM
I've seen alot of broken springs on XC70's lately come into the shop. Most likely your spring was broke and when you finally took all the weight off it the spring had enough room to come out further.

Steve F
07-02-2014, 01:40 PM
Deflating the tire will certainly help then remove as soon as you can

alane2686
07-02-2014, 03:42 PM
Never seen that before, the assembly usually stays together

with the spring like this i am worried about the removal of the whole assembly. any suggestions on an injury free removal from here?

while i have the tire off i checked the bushings the front(tube like one) is fine but this pancake one looks iffy to me, suggestions?6288

alane2686
07-02-2014, 03:44 PM
thank you for that. i was so worried that it was going to puncture the tire and i just got new tires for the car two weeks ago :-(

volvospeed70
07-02-2014, 03:56 PM
thank you for that. i was so worried that it was going to puncture the tire and i just got new tires for the car two weeks ago :-(

The bushing does look like it has a lot of stress marks in it but it doesn't look torn. I would look at replacing it in the future but if you are taking the strut off to replace the broken spring, now would be a good time to get it done.

alane2686
07-02-2014, 03:59 PM
The bushing does look like it has a lot of stress marks in it but it doesn't look torn. I would look at replacing it in the future but if you are taking the strut off to replace the broken spring, now would be a good time to get it done.

i will mark it in the calendar for a in the near future repair. currently do not have the extra cash or a press to get the bushing out/in.

Steve F
07-03-2014, 01:46 AM
Your spring looks like enough has broken that there will be very little if any tension left on the strut assembly. Drop the whole assembly out as a unit and I think you mentioned you're getting a salvaged assembly to replace with, there's no need to disassemble further.

That bushing has some life left in it. I opted to replace my whole control arm with new bushings already in place when I did mine, they were torn through. I found there was only $15 difference for the whole assembly new vs new bushings, then there's no machine cost nor risk of misalignment when the bushings are inserted.

Thames
07-03-2014, 05:59 AM
You're FIRST supposed to jack up the car AND REMOVE THE WHEELS AND TIRES before you start work on it

You first have to READ the post carefully before replying...

Sorry I couldn't resist.