PDA

View Full Version : VIN Code Confusion

scarince
06-23-2014, 09:48 AM
At 170K miles on my 2005 XC70, I'm redoing the front end while I'm all the way in there to replace the angle gear drive collar. This includes struts, springs (broken), LCA's, links, etc etc etc.

I've run into a situation where when a certain parts supplier looks up parts by my VIN code, they are referencing incorrect components for my vehicle. For example, this supplier swears that based on my VIN code, I have the Four-C struts, but I certainly do not have that system (my strut code is "15". Same issue with the front CV joint replacement kit on my prop-shaft. My research indicates it should be a 31216175, but they tell me that based on the VIN it is a 31216176. This appears to be a joint for a XC90 I think.

I'm purposely not naming the supplier that's having this problem as I don't want to negatively affect their reputation based on two issues and no-harm-done. I'll just say it's someone we all love to use because of their incredible prices on OEM parts. They *have* been very helpful and responsive, but they just say "yup, that's what the system says based on your VIN code".

Has anyone seen this issue before?

Can someone check VADIS for me and give me the p/n for the prop-shaft front CV joint for a 2005 xc70? My version is so old that there was no replacement kit back then.

Thanks!

hoonk
06-23-2014, 11:58 AM
Maybe this will help.

scarince
06-23-2014, 12:03 PM
Yes hoonk, so that confirms everything that I have seen other places.

Against my better judgement, I have ordered the part that I think is the wrong one. If it doesn't fit I'll have to go through the return/exchange process, but at least it might force the error to be fixed for the next guy.

Thanks.

**Update**
The supplier in question just "found the error", so it turns out this is a non-issue.