PDA

View Full Version : Big Dent :'(

crimsonv70
06-20-2014, 02:53 AM

A couch fell into my parked car and dented the side of my beloved V70 :'( I've searched for info and seen videos but would love to hear from anyone as to how I could fix it best. It seems to big of a dent for the dry ice or suction cup solutions. I was thinking of taking apart the door and gently rubber hammering it.

My insurance has a $250 deductible for collision comprehensive so....trying to not spend an arm and a leg out of pocket.

Thanks for looking!

DYZ
06-20-2014, 06:13 AM
If you have "Dent Doctor" in your area, you can let them take a look. They usually fix smaller dents, but it doesn't hurt to check with them. The cost is normally under $100 for one dent.

DYZ

JRL
06-20-2014, 06:29 AM
A dent doctor can get that 95-maybe even 98% but you'll never make it 100% because of that very sharp crease in the middle.
You try to do it yourself and I'll guarantee you will make it worse

Steve F
06-20-2014, 09:19 AM
The dent guys are magicians! They may not get it back 100% but more than likely to a point where only you would know there had been a problem. There's probably just as much risk trying to get a perfect paint match at a body shop. If you have a dealership you're friendly with you might get a discount if you find out when he's next scheduled there instead of making your own appointment.

mopar4wd
06-20-2014, 12:31 PM
Check with a body shop or mechanic in the area and ask which "dent wizard etc" they recommend, most will get it pretty close for under the deductible. When I was an insurance adjuster most of the shops here in the Hartford area preferred a guy up in Western Mass apparently their was a lot of variation in the other guys work.

nickbw
06-21-2014, 03:23 AM
Hi and first of all commiserations! Here, in the UK doors are £900 a piece. So only repair is doable. As an employee of a multi-franchise dealer for some years, in charge of a valeting outfit I will stand behind recommendations to use dent doctor. At the end of the day, sad though it is, not to have a pretty car is tough, but what we all need most is a functional car and to stay solvent!

Allgonquin
06-21-2014, 02:20 PM
+1. A skilled paintless dent practitioner can work miracles. Contact the local Porsche or MB club and see who they recommend if you do not have a line on a good one. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Rgds,

Swagger XC
06-21-2014, 05:42 PM
Yeah, I have a similar dent on my front fender on the same shoulder line that you do due to my father parking my car under a tree in a windstorm :(. I dont have as sharp as a crease as you do but it is pretty significant. Hopefully in the next few weeks I should have it fixed by a paintless dent repair guy and I'll follow up to show you the work. I'm also planning on having all the little parking dents removed as well to make my xc good as new :).

crimsonv70
06-23-2014, 09:47 AM
Yeah, I have a similar dent on my front fender on the same shoulder line that you do due to my father parking my car under a tree in a windstorm :(. I dont have as sharp as a crease as you do but it is pretty significant. Hopefully in the next few weeks I should have it fixed by a paintless dent repair guy and I'll follow up to show you the work. I'm also planning on having all the little parking dents removed as well to make my xc good as new :).

Yeah, that would be great if you'd post pics and follow up! I'm curious to know the cost and such.

I called a dent doctor in my area with great reviews and he says:
"Upon the damage (creases and crowns) and the access that is permitted behind the panel some dents can be removed and some can't be removed to completion.

Based on the pictures an approximate estimate to have the dent removed
from the rear door would cost $200 to $250 if I will be able to remove it.

NOTE: It won't look perfect."

Not very encouraging :( I'll call around to other places. I wonder, if I bring the body work place the car with the door interior disassembled if they would do it for cheaper? lol

Steve F
06-23-2014, 10:24 AM
This is a pic of my car. Both the front and rear doors have had dents removed. I bought the car in this condition and never saw the original dents but based on the size and shape of the repaired area I would guess they were very similar to yours. There is a very slight distortion visible to the eye the camera won't pick up and the paint in that spot isn't quite as glossy. I think if it were buffed the gloss might come back. If you want perfection then a high end body shop will be the answer but if you can settle for slightly less than perfect a dent guy can help you. The dent on the driver's door is where the white spot is, I just noticed someone has opened their door into it and left that spot of paint behind. I ran my finger through the dust to see it, that's the streak you see. I'll try to get a pic for you after its washed.