PDA

View Full Version : LED reading lamp

Ron3KL
08-29-2002, 12:22 AM
My 10 year old son is an avid reader and does not appear to be prone to car sickness. So he likes to read when we travel, using one of the rear reading lamps at night.

In our old 850 that wasn't a problem because the reading lamps were off to the side near the passenger grab handles. However, in the XC the lamps are located in the center so that they do not interfere with the inflation of the air curtain. The downside of this is that when the lamps are on there is a lot of reflection in the driver's mirror.

Thinking about this problem I realised that we could make use of two innovations
1) the 12V outlet in the cargo compartment, and;
2) recently developed high intensity LED technology.

My son and I built a small reading lamp that uses a super-white LED with a light output of 6000 mcd (standard LED's outputs range from 5 - 500 mcd). It is contained in a small box that is stuck to the headlining with hook and loop tape. We have positioned it above his lap for reading but away from the air curtain for safety.

The advantage of using a LED over a standard bulb is that it has a very narrow beam which is barely visible in the driver's mirror. It also has a very low current draw; so low in fact that the ECU does not detect that the 12V socket is in use. This means that the normal dashboard warning message you get when the socket is in use is not displayed. Accidently leaving the light on is not a problem either.

We worked on the design together and designed the gadget to use either the 12V car supply or a built in 9V battery. This means it doubles as a pocket torch. We also decided to include a dimmer. I did the mechanical bits like drilling and cutting, but he did most of the soldering and assembly, which just goes to show that it is a suitable project for a youngster interested in basic electronics.

The following photos show:
# 1 - The cicuit diagram, including the dual voltage supply and dimmer. It could be made a lot simpler by deleting the 9V battery, the switch/socket and dimmer.
# 2 - The parts we used.
# 3 - Picture of the simple circuit board.
# 4 - Picture of the inside of the completed gadget.
# 5 - The lamp in position in the car.

coastal
08-29-2002, 03:20 PM
Wow, so much forum activity today, this post almost was lost to the dreaded second page lol!

A great idea and project Ron. I assume the LED offers more than enough light for reading?

Do you use the hook side of the Velcro to attach directly to the headliner, or is the loop side adhered to the headliner as well?

wiz
08-29-2002, 04:07 PM
Wow, what a great project, Ron!! Can I have you for a dad? http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

I'm really interested in the issue that started this project off. You say that you're getting reflection from the reading lamps - I am not - and I seem to remember that the rearview mirror in my car somehow automatically deals with headlamps in the rear by "auto-dimming".

I'm wondering if this also applies to the reading lights - because as soon as I got the car I noticed that they weren't a problem...

Ron3KL
08-30-2002, 12:28 AM
[coastal] The LED is just bright enough to read by but it has to be located directly above the reading matter. I believe it is possible to get LEDs that are even brighter than 6000 mcd. There also LED clusters called LumiStars. The hook tape sticks directly to the roof lining.

[wiz] I have not seen the autodimming mirror in Australia. Besides with the VOR I bought straight off the showroom floor I had no choice with the specifications.

With the reading lamps on they are clearly visible in the mirror. The angle may depend on the height of the driver; I am only 165cm tall. With the mirror in the dimming position it is even worse - all I can see is the back seat. This lamp fixes that problem too.

Wesley
01-28-2003, 12:07 AM
Great project - reminds me of a Heathkit era from my youth.

Here's another way - a nifty item just coming out in the aftermarket world called a Bilite (bil-light)

It clips onto your hat, glasses, or any protruding surface.

High intensity light, 40 hour life, about $15 and really cool

http://www.bil-lite.com/QEDimages/blu3.JPG

wiz
01-29-2003, 01:43 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wesley @ Jan. 27 2003,21:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Here&#39;s another way - a nifty item just coming out in the aftermarket world called a Bilite (bil-light)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
VERY cool&#33; &nbsp;I like the red one... &nbsp;http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif