PDA

View Full Version : Different Banjo Bolt??

9dawgs
05-12-2014, 10:16 AM
Hey guys, I'm doing my PCV system today in my '04 XC70 and I have everything off and am starting to replace all the components. I came to the banjo fitting that's on the bottom of the intake manifold and the bolt that was sent to me (one on the left in photo) is different than the one that came off (one on the right in photo) for two reasons. First it's a 19mm and the original is 17mm and second the original appears to have some type of check valve in it where the new one doesn't. The bolt head difference is no problem since the threads are the same but the check valve feature on the original has me concerned. Has anyone run into this before? I blew some compressed air into one of the two holes at the bottom (near the bolt head) of the old bolt and it will blow out the top inside but not back the other way. Thanks for a quick reply.

9dawgs
05-12-2014, 10:24 AM
Quick update. Apparently this is a new banjo bolt that Volvo is calling for these days. The part # on the package says its a 8653884 Bolt PCV Orifice. So I'm going to put it back together.

youropeen
05-12-2014, 10:30 AM
The kit I used a few months ago had both banjo bolt replacements. The one that connects to the block does not have the check valve but the one that connects to the intake did have it.

Someone may be able to chime in but I believe the check valve is required on the intake side and the bolt you have there is for the block side.

9dawgs
05-12-2014, 10:51 AM
Hmm, well mine didn't come with a replacement for the block fitting. The one I pulled out of the block was silver and the one out of the manifold was black like the one in the kit. Also the new one from the kit has a tiny orifice (about as big in diameter as a small finishing nail) going into the shaft where the two holes come out side to side and the one from the block has a much larger bore all the way down to the two holes.

sjonnie
05-12-2014, 01:52 PM
Quick update. Apparently this is a new banjo bolt that Volvo is calling for these days. The part # on the package says its a 8653884 Bolt PCV Orifice. So I'm going to put it back together.
There are different part numbers depending on your engine.

#31325709 (8653883) is for B5254TX which includes the 2.5T engine in your car
#8653884 is for B5244TX which would be the 2.4T in my car

No idea how those parts differ, but #31325709 is twice the price of the other suggesting it involves more engineering. My guess would be the first part number has the check valve built in and would be the correct replacement part for your engine.

9dawgs
05-13-2014, 07:53 AM
Yep, I went on the Volvo parts site and confirmed what you're talking about. Sad thing is, I already put everything back together. I guess I'll clean up the old one and dig back into everything. Dang. That sucker was a bear to get back in. I sent a question to the Volvo "ask a tech" service to see if just leaving it in there will adversely affect the engine. I didn't notice anything with the test drive. In fact all my idle issues are gone. Everything seems to be working great. I'll post again when I get a reply from Volvo but I suspect I'll be taking it apart again.

By the way, the kit came from IPD and when I called and asked about this, they told me the one they sent is the "new" part number Volvo says to use now.

Xheart
05-13-2014, 09:58 AM
Yep, I went on the Volvo parts site and confirmed what you're talking about. Sad thing is, I already put everything back together. I guess I'll clean up the old one and dig back into everything. Dang. That sucker was a bear to get back in. I sent a question to the Volvo "ask a tech" service to see if just leaving it in there will adversely affect the engine. I didn't notice anything with the test drive. In fact all my idle issues are gone. Everything seems to be working great. I'll post again when I get a reply from Volvo but I suspect I'll be taking it apart again.

By the way, the kit came from IPD and when I called and asked about this, they told me the one they sent is the "new" part number Volvo says to use now.

Bonjo is built for life. No need to replace it , just clean it thoroughly and reuse.
Where is Howard on this issue?

9dawgs
05-13-2014, 06:57 PM
I spoke with Andrew at IPD and he acknowledged that they sent the wrong part in their kit. He's changing the site now to reflect both banjo bolts and their correct applications and sending me the correct one as well as the gaskets I'll need. Ugh.. I guess I know how my Saturday is going to be spent.

I really appreciate the heads-up on this sjonnie. I have ordered parts for different vehicles before that have been changed from the original by the manufacturer so I really didn't think much of it when the guy at IPD said it had been changed.[sly]

Astro14
05-13-2014, 07:13 PM
I don't know that the banjo bolt needs to be replaced if it's the simple one. A .22 cal rifle brush will clean the small holes on the side, a .30 cal brush will handle the rest...clean it well and re-install...

9dawgs
05-15-2014, 11:02 AM
I don't know that the banjo bolt needs to be replaced if it's the simple one. A .22 cal rifle brush will clean the small holes on the side, a .30 cal brush will handle the rest...clean it well and re-install...

It's the one with the check valve. It wasn't clogged but dirty so I just used the one that came in the kit which was the "simple one". I should have just dropped the old one in some carb cleaner and waited for a couple of hours and reinstalled. The new one is on the way with new gaskets, etc.