PDA

View Full Version : Cleaned the MAF now it won't start

Vicious Meistersinger
05-06-2014, 12:41 PM
While I did this procedure I replaced the covers over the coils. I managed to damage the green wire to connector on the coil covered the nick with electrical tape. Tried to start to no avail. Resprayed tha MAF. Still nothing. I know. I'm a muppet. What did I break? The wire has some exposed copper and is slightly crushed. Disconnecting that one cylinder coil and trying didn't work disconnecting the MAF also didn't work. Pulled the MAF fuse for a few and the ECM fuse as well. And I did use MAF cleaner.
}

Vicious Meistersinger
05-06-2014, 01:37 PM
Just talked to an Indy volvo guy about it. He said it's not the one you can spray. I ruined it. How did I miss the posts about that here?

Astro14
05-06-2014, 01:46 PM
This MAF can be cleaned, if done carefully. Nicked wire insulation won't change performance in the short term.

Suspect something not related...

If your Indy was right, the car would have started with the MAF disconnected.

Vicious Meistersinger
05-06-2014, 02:00 PM
Damn. So it can start when MAF is disconnected too. I pulled a 1171 code this morning. It drove great all day did a bit of research and decided to go with MAF cleaning as it was discussed on volvo-forums. I figured a 10 min. And 10 dollar fix would be awesome. Now I'm not so awesome at all. No cel light is on either as I crank it. What the devil?

JRL
05-06-2014, 02:21 PM
If it ran well, why the hell would you clean it?????
99% of the time you will ruin a MAF

Vicious Meistersinger
05-06-2014, 02:29 PM
Like I said, I'm a muppet. It was the cel code that had me going. I noticed the air filter wasn't seated properly which also led me to believe some dirt got on the sensor. I want my wizard sleeves to be as long as yours jrl but I am a mere jester. So I buggered the sensor then? Wouldn't the car start with it disconnected though ?

Antherzoll
05-06-2014, 03:45 PM
Well, like you don't have enough problems to deal with, you've gone and created you own. I like working on my own cars as well, and I've cause some issues from "over-fixing" thing, but when it comes to MAF sensors, if I think they need to be cleaned, I just replace them, as most likely they are not a accurate as they were when new, and a new sensor will last just as long as the old one without issues.

As for the no start, maybe you flodded your engine with the MAF giving a incorrect reading. Try again ina little bit. Just a thought.

Good Luck.

Vicious Meistersinger
05-06-2014, 03:56 PM
I'm at work now fretting over my stupidity. Took the astro van (which never fails me) except rusted out chassis. Putting the ol girl to pasture before next inspection. Manly tears. The volvo just makes me cry like a baby. I hope it starts when I get home tonight or I'll be drinking myself to sleep in a van down by the river

JRL
05-06-2014, 04:47 PM
http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww329/JRL1194/violin.jpg (http://s732.photobucket.com/user/JRL1194/media/violin.jpg.html)

Vicious Meistersinger
05-06-2014, 05:12 PM
Yup. The worlds smallest.

9dawgs
05-06-2014, 06:31 PM
As Astro14 said, I also believe it's something not related to the MAF. Just keep digging. It'll turn up eventually. All is not lost :>) You can test the MAF (check Youtube) or just replace it if it'll make you feel better (costs about $100 or so new) but I don't think that's the issue since it won't start with it disconnected.

I'd look for a loose or disconnected wire everywhere I did the work. When you find the issue it'll probably be something really simple. Oh and I know your attachment to your Astro van. I had a '99 lifted 4" (OLV suspension lift) with big 'ol BFGs on it! I loved that thing and drove it everywhere until my son wrecked it for me. Manly tears were shed indeed...

Vicious Meistersinger
05-06-2014, 06:57 PM
Got home and cranked it. She said no. It did the same thing as before I left for work. The first key turn is a complete dud then on the second just cranks and cranks. Ah well tomorrow then. I love me a lifted awd van. Had a Cherokee with that lift tho. The xc might get the treatment if she's nicer to me!

9dawgs
05-06-2014, 07:04 PM
Ha, yeah i hear ya. I've been tempted to lift the XC but my wife really is the daily driver so I was biding my time letting her get used to the idea. I waited too long and BadSwede has closed up shop. I did however put some General Grabber AT2s on it so it has the grip I want plus it just looks really cool. The redneck got the best of me there. Took her a little to get used to the new tread noise on the asphalt but she digs them now :>) They make the car look sexy.

guymon
05-07-2014, 06:48 AM
Old School Check. Spark, Fuel, Compression.

Vicious Meistersinger
05-07-2014, 07:03 AM
Still won't start. I disconnected the MAF and pulled the MAF fuse. The cabin smells like gas so it's flooded now and I'm waiting another 30 to try. I looked all around the bay for the eureka moment and everything looks in place. I had a glimmer when I saw a connector in front of the air box dangling but it had rubber stoppers in the holes and looked dirty so it's just some unused deal of course. This car is a prima Donna

Forkster
05-07-2014, 07:42 AM
Vic - you need to pull codes and then come back and talk to us. Otherwise you're guessing as to what the issue is and we need more information.

Thames
05-07-2014, 07:46 AM
Had similar issue last winter. No start, crank-crank-crank, with a strange behavior the week before. It was the crankshaft sensor. 100$ and all fine after that.

Caused a flooded engine of course.

Vicious Meistersinger
05-07-2014, 08:29 AM
I'm off to pull some codes thanks for reading and advice.decided to pull the plugs and air out the cylinders. Replaced em 20 min later and still boned. I noticed the info on the left of the cluster said immobilizer check manual. Well I'm using the right keys wtf. Absurd. Gonna grab the code need a obd and after that the tow truck. Bollocks!!!!

billr99
05-07-2014, 10:58 AM
I'm off to pull some codes thanks for reading and advice.decided to pull the plugs and air out the cylinders. Replaced em 20 min later and still boned. I noticed the info on the left of the cluster said immobilizer check manual. Well I'm using the right keys wtf. Absurd. Gonna grab the code need a obd and after that the tow truck. Bollocks!!!!

Bad immobilizer antenna?

Good Luck,

Bill

JRL
05-07-2014, 11:12 AM
Do you have two Volvo keys on the key ring?
If remove one and place it somewhere else
Otherwise you need a new (cheap) antenna ring, happens to all of these from time to time

Vicious Meistersinger
05-07-2014, 12:14 PM
Yup Had both pairs in the car. However chucking one far didn't do it. Pulled the neg. off the battery and I'm giving it one more shot before the bloody towel goes in the ring. &@##%^*+€ŁĄ+*#}{},,,,!!!!!

Antherzoll
05-07-2014, 12:30 PM
Did you check all your fuses in the engine fuse box, as in test them with a OHM meter. On my XC, fuse 11 is the ignition coil circuit, maybe you have a short while fiddling around.

Vicious Meistersinger
05-07-2014, 12:45 PM
You sir are a legend !!!!! My hero!!!I wish I could buy you a beer seriously I want to give you a token of my appreciation. I was feeding my boy a bottle as I read your post I practically threw him because I knew you nailed it! Brilliant stuff my northern neighbor

Antherzoll
05-07-2014, 01:15 PM
You sir are a legend !!!!! My hero!!!I wish I could buy you a beer seriously I want to give you a token of my appreciation. I was feeding my boy a bottle as I read your post I practically threw him because I knew you nailed it! Brilliant stuff my northern neighbor

Thank You?

So it starts? If fuse 11 is blown, it my be a good idea to check the wiring to the ignition coils for breaks as the insulation crumbles with heat and age.

Vicious Meistersinger
05-07-2014, 01:42 PM
The first post in this thread I mentioned I nicked the wire and covered it with elec. tape. What a journey!! I was 2 min. From calling the tow truck. You are tha Man!!

guymon
05-08-2014, 06:18 AM
So if fuse 11 is blown, you get a "immobilizer check manual" in the display? Interesting... What else does fuse 11 control?

Antherzoll
05-08-2014, 06:59 AM
So if fuse 11 is blown, you get a "immobilizer check manual" in the display? Interesting... What else does fuse 11 control?

Immobilizer would be totally unrelated. I've had the immobilizer message come up before and the engine doesn't crank at all. When I got the message I removed the key and retried starting the car and it started without a problem.

Vicious Meistersinger
05-08-2014, 07:33 AM
The immobilizer message was due to me having both sets of keys in the car. One with a bad antennae as was suggested here. I can see my wizard sleeves growing! As a side thought if these computers are so damn smart why can't they detect a popped fuse ? Now that would be helpful

Thames
05-08-2014, 08:07 AM
As a side thought if these computers are so damn smart why can't they detect a popped fuse ? Now that would be helpful

+1000

Antherzoll
05-08-2014, 08:21 AM
The immobilizer message was due to me having both sets of keys in the car. One with a bad antennae as was suggested here. I can see my wizard sleeves growing! As a side thought if these computers are so damn smart why can't they detect a popped fuse ? Now that would be helpful

Fuses should usually be your first goto for any issue I say. It's the simplest cause of most faults.

As for the computer being able to tell a blown fuse. I'm not sure of one for the ignition circuit, but usually there are code for communication issues between modules which can be caused by a blown fuse. I don't know of any system that can detect blown fuses on vehicles through the computer. A blown fuse would register a similar fault as an open circuit, which can be caused by other issues. The only way I see a system being able to detect blown fuses is to have a 3-way fuse that shorts to the third lead which send a signal to the computer to register the fault. Could you imagine the extra wiring and cost that a system like that would need? Also think about the fact that all automotive fuses are standardize, say you blow a fuse away from home and have no spares. Most likely you won't be able to find spares at the corner gas, and that means a call to volvo.

Also, I know there is a type of fuse that you can buy that when it blows, there is a LED wired into it that will light up. They are pricey compared to regular fuses, and not worth it in my opinion.

Vicious Meistersinger
05-08-2014, 11:13 AM
Indeed. Lesson learned for sure

9dawgs
05-08-2014, 02:47 PM
Indeed. Lesson learned for sure

Awesome! Glad you got it sorted brother! Now, post up some pictures of the dreaded 01 XC70 :>)