PDA

View Full Version : PO442 - EVAP Emission Control Leak (small)

Joe Mc
05-04-2014, 10:33 AM
4/6/14 I completed the dreaded installation of the new PCV (box) on the front side of the engine. Of course this involved removing the intake manifold and all the other joys that go along with this job. I purchased all items needed new intakeand ETM gaskets, new "box", hoses and clamps required from one of the major online Volvo parts sites. I did my research and came about a guy who has a website whom was extreemly knoweldgable and helpful, having perfromed the task I was taking on several times prior, sharing tips and how to's with me. I didn't purchase a new J-Tube for the job opting to clear obstructions and clean the internals of the stock J-Tube, as the problem I was having was due to reduced PCV = restriction in the short (4-5" inner circut/small diameter pipe) tube length from the banjo bolt to the larger tube. The problem I was at idle the rpm would lower to around 500, the engin would almost stall and then rpm would jump to 1200 and settle back to around 800 or so. This would happen when idling in gear or netural with usually a 30-45 second gap in between occurances. The "service engine soon light" would stay on for days and then disapear for days coming back eventually and repeating the disapear/reapear senario. All the time regardless of the SES light the idle surge situation was there. But "never" was there a "Check Engine" light - never.

So, I get everything torn off and cleared the J-tube small circuit tube and all the other tubes in the multi circuit J-Tube system (man that small tube was clogged big time - when I was done it and the others flowed freely). I even cleaned the (yucky) ETM, reinstalled everything with new gaskets, hoses, clamps, checked and double checked the job - I'm anal like that, I'd prefer to do the job once and correctly taking more time than really needed than quickly doing the job only to repeat later due to an "Opps, I guess I missed that". So after reconnecting the battery I was hope-full she'd fire right up and run like a top. I was rewarded with an engine that purred like a kitten holding a firm idle of 750 rpm (I think it's 750) in any gear or netural. My wife exclaimed it was like driving a new car!

Fast forward 20 days (4/26/14) I arrive home from a business trip and my wife tells me "by the way the engine light thingy is on, but the car is still running great". I'm like WTF now!!! So I go out hoping it was a service soon light but indeed it was check engine. And with the help of my little toy OBD II code reader I was able to obain and clear the code in the subject of this post. I might add the code comes back around 50 miles +/- and I can't find a darn thing - not a cracked/failed vacuum hose or anything. I did manage to snug up the intake bolts (all of them) about 1/8 - 1/4 turn and checked the ETM bolts which were fine. The car didn't pass emissions first go around - due to me clearing the code and then driving into the emission bay - apparently the car needs some time to reset/learn all the sensors - and the PA state system picked up on missing sensors yeilding a Failure! Because the PA emission system will allow a pass with one missing/unfixed code - "as long as the check engine light is not on during inspection" I was able to clear the code - drive until it came back on keeping track of miles from clear to re-appear" and get it to the inspection station with 5 miles from repeat of code so I now have stickers on the car and a bit of time to figure out what's next.

So, at preasnt I'm at a loss as to where to go / what to llok for next.

BTW: the guy with the website that is very helpful let me know the only thing he could come up with was from a post (on I think FCP's site) that this P0442 is associated with the "J-Tube" - which I "just" had out and cleaned??? Not a fun job either BTW.

Any help is appreciated.

Antherzoll
05-04-2014, 10:58 AM
EVAP system is the evaporation control system for the fuel tank. The code is set when a leak is detected in the system during a self test. Could be as simple as the filler cap seal isn't sealing properly, or a bit more involved with the hoses being the next place to look.

JRL
05-04-2014, 11:19 AM
By "J Tube" do you mean the J HOSE in the back?
If not, no such a part nomenclature as a J TUBE.

You need to do a leak detection pump test (dealer or VIDA-DICE if you have one). Common failure is the leak detection pump in the rear.
If the test is good you then need to "smoke" the car to find the leak but I've had them fail in every P2 I've had even at low miles

Joe Mc
05-04-2014, 12:21 PM
Ah HA! I know I could count on the good ol` forum! I thought the "J-Tube" reference made by the guy who was helping me figure this out was to that of the PCV tube. I appreciate the clarification on that.

So all this "common failure of the lead detection pump in the rear" is not common to me, but I learn quickly with minimal guidance and direction. Can someone shed a bit of lite on this leak detection pump and hoses = what and where? The gas cap was a thought initially and after clicking it 4 - 5 times I ruled it out. This whole new info is - to me - a godsend and should be easier to find/fix than what I originally thought J-Tube to be as taking the intake off again. Thanks guys! So if anyone has some pictures and wording that I could follow I could begin the next phase of "keeping the ol` 140k mile V 70-XC running along.

Awesome info guys - greatly appreciated.

Antherzoll
05-04-2014, 04:19 PM
Really the EVAP system does not affect the vehicles preformance, it's purely a emmision control system. JRL's advice is sound, unless you are willing to try fruitless fixes.

JRL
05-04-2014, 06:00 PM
Slow down
it will run just fine
You need the dealer to perform the test, you cannot do it and nothing is visible, it's inside the pump IF it's bad

Tahoe_XC
05-05-2014, 06:36 AM
Could also be as simple as replacing the gas cap gasket. Does it show any signs of cracking? If so go buy a Stant remove the gasket and put on your Volvo cap. Reset the code and see if that solve. If not that may likely be the EVAP valve which is in the engine compartment. Check those two item first.

hoonk
05-05-2014, 06:47 AM
The evap pump (#6 on diagram) is mounted near the charcoal canister in the rear of the car. As others have suggested the first step (if access to Vida is possible) would be to scan the car using Volvos Vida program and if needed run an evap self test. I frequently get an error message on cars as old as yours when trying to run the evap self test stating that the software is not the latest version and the test will not run (until a software update is done). From what I understand the original software monitored the current the pump used, and when the pumps got old current usage changed and was out of spec. The new software uses different parameters.

It is possible (since the car is 13 years old and has been recently worked on) that there are other evap leaks that could be detected and solved with a smoke machine if there's not easy access to VIDA.

9dawgs
06-05-2014, 12:34 PM
Could also be as simple as replacing the gas cap gasket. Does it show any signs of cracking? If so go buy a Stant remove the gasket and put on your Volvo cap. Reset the code and see if that solve. If not that may likely be the EVAP valve which is in the engine compartment. Check those two item first.

Hey Joe MC, I was wondering if you ever sorted this out? Last month I performed the same PCV service on my '04. I got the same P0442 code today. Last week I had a message that said "Fuel Cap Loose". I checked it and turned it a few clicks and still had the message. I removed it and reinstalled it then the message cleared. Then today my wife got the CEL. I checked the codes and immediately suspected the gas cap. I checked it and it has cracks around the gasket. I'll be installing a new one to see if it will stay cleared.

Thames
06-06-2014, 06:21 AM
Had similar code recently, it was (VERY SMALL LEAK).. I twisted the cab a few times.. bang! 4 days later the code was gon.e

9dawgs
06-06-2014, 03:31 PM
Had similar code recently, it was (VERY SMALL LEAK).. I twisted the cab a few times.. bang! 4 days later the code was gon.e

Yea, I'm thinking the gas cap is the culprit so I ordered a new one. I was due a new one anyhow, the lanyard broke a long time ago so I just trimmed it off. It'll be nice to "let it dangle" again, when filling her up. [sly]

Joe Mc
07-14-2014, 08:58 AM
No haven't replaced the gas cap gasket yet, been swamped with other things so much that I haven't been able to do this simple thing. Life's to short for sure. Let me know if after replacing your gas cap gasket if the code goes away after a while.