PDA

View Full Version : EL Powersystem Service Required???

WA_IrishPilot
05-03-2014, 02:24 PM
Just had this message pop across my car when I went to leave home and go shopping.

I have zero clue as to what is causing it. I left work a hour prior with zero indication anything was wrong and the only error message I had was a dead lightbulb. Windshield wipers seem to run slow, no lightbulbs were left on, I do however have a weird ticking from under the dash near the fuse panel.

Currently, I have 138,300 miles on it and will be moving cross country in 2 weeks. What could it be?

Astro14
05-03-2014, 05:55 PM
Your alternator has croaked.

Could be voltage reg. could be rectifier. Could be brushes.

At that mileage, best to replace the whole thing.

Dealer: over $700. Rebuild on line:$300

Pull it yourself and find a good electric shop (like Brownings Alternator in Virginia Beach), $100.

WA_IrishPilot
05-04-2014, 07:37 AM
Thanks.

I am in North Dakota and don't know a good electric shop. I can find a alternator for 200 or so, and the voltage regulator for 65 (85 shipped).

I charged the whole batt overnight and the car drove fine to work. Probably will go ahead and replace the alternator as a whole and make it good.

Astro14
05-04-2014, 08:39 AM
Alternator is a bit of a pain to remove.

The serpentine belt is awkward on this car. My method is the torx fitting on a long wrench, a piece of bent coat hanger to hold the wrench, and a strip of cloth to lift/move the belt over the PS pulley (both removal and installation).

Then, move the PS pump and reservoir, which requires getting a new PS line o-ring. With the PS pump moved, the alternator is one electrical connector, the charging wire and 3 bolts. You've got to loosen the other 2 bolts on the AC compressor as well to get the alt bracket out from behind the compressor. Figure an hour if the belt goes easy.

My recommendation in your case would be to order the rebuilt alternator from FCP Euro or from IPD. It will have the new regulator.

WA_IrishPilot
05-04-2014, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the info. I have watched a few videos and shouldn't be too much issue. Probably easier than changing a generator on a jet engine.

I didn't see any alternators @ IPD, but FCP has them. And brand new I believe. I will go ahead and order and fast ship.

Thanks for the direction/advice.