PDA

View Full Version : MY05 completed AWD maintenance - check!

Thames
05-02-2014, 06:09 AM
Hi gents,

Well, earlier this week I completed AWD maintenance on my 2005 XC. We did the bevel gear + rear diff fluid change 2 months ago, and then we did the Haldex filter + fluid change on monday night.

My god, the fluid in there was in TERRIBLE condition. Gray/green color, opaque, very very bad condition. The filter was probably clogged up but I didnt investigated much. Anyway it was a VERY good preventive move ! I strongly recommend to do it. My car has 206,000 KM (not miles). It was about time.

Driveshaft is still very solid, no play at all, no signs of wear. Should be good for another 40-50,000 KM, then time to sell and move on to something else.

BTW, no need to remove the muffler or even the driveshaft, we've been able to reach the plug + filter, but we had to spend some time to make 2 custom tools (4.2 mm allen bit.. yes as 1 of the filter cap bolt was rusty... and cut in half one 4mm allen bit for filter reinstallation). All went good!

HOWEVER, we removed about 0.5-0.6 l of fluid, but put back in 0.8l ... bad move ?

Willy
05-02-2014, 09:25 AM
How did you decide when there was enough fluid in the coupling?
My Vadis procedure says to remove 100mL fluid after a complete refill.
Willy

Thames
05-02-2014, 09:51 AM
How did you decide when there was enough fluid in the coupling?
My Vadis procedure says to remove 100mL fluid after a complete refill.
Willy

Thanks Willy for the input.
There's enough fluid I guess when it spills back? :)