PDA

View Full Version : Replacing the Cabin (AC) Air Filter

XCovlov70
04-22-2014, 07:33 AM
Just replaced the Cabin Air Filter and I think the guy in Volvo who put it in the position it is in & for making it one of the most difficult maintenance jobs to carry out on an XC70.should be given a Medal, preferably as heavy as possible to be worn at all times!

While it took just under 3 Hours to complete, the severely restricted amount of room available after removing everything that you have to to get at it, not only makes getting the old filter out of it's 'Box' a real struggle, but getting the new one, especially if it is the 'Heavy Duty' type that filters smells as well as everything else out is nearly a total impossibility! [nonono]

However having sought a bit of advice I 'borrowed' some of my good lady's Silicone Furniture Polish with Beeswax, and after a fairly liberal spraying of the top and bottom edges of the Filter, it slid into the holder a lot easier with no damage! [thumbup]

Now I just have to get a new can of Furniture Polish otherwise I will be cooking my own dinners for a week or so! :o

ssicarman
04-23-2014, 05:52 PM
Is your filter on your drivers side or passenger side? Mine is on the right side of the car and takes under ten minutes.

XCovlov70
04-24-2014, 12:14 AM
Is your filter on your drivers side or passenger side? Mine is on the right side of the car and takes under ten minutes.

R/H Drive Car

Filter on L/H-Passenger side, which to get at requires complete Glove Box removal + Fuse Box removal from lower section of bulkhead towards the centre + Side Trim from Centre Console + Carpet from front part of Passenger side which actually covers Filter cover. The Filter cover is held in place by 3 plastic clips that then become 'accessible' after which you can then extract the old filter by using the polypropylene piece along the edge of the filter that forms a seal on the cover.

netpres1
04-26-2014, 04:24 AM
Agreed, it is a pain to change on R/H drive cars.

From memory, I managed to change mine without removing the glove box.

Never thought to look on the drivers side .....