PDA

View Full Version : VOLVO VIDA DICE Diagnostic Tool / Transmission Reset

Stephenxc
04-18-2014, 05:02 AM
Hello. I just finished doing a Transmission flush and installed a Magnefine Inline Filter. The transmission works really well now, but one person on the forum recommended I do a Transmission software update.
Would anyone know if the VOLVO VIDA DICE Diagnostic Tool can perform this task or do I need to take it to the dealer in Halifax (3.5 hour drive away :-( )

Thank You
S

vtl
04-18-2014, 07:26 AM
DiCE can perform this task. Do not reset adaptation, you need to put transmission in adaptation mode, not wipe all adaptation out.

BillAileo
04-18-2014, 07:36 AM
Isn't there a difference between putting the transmission in adaption mode and doing a software update? As to the latter I thought the DiCE has to be connected with an account with Volvo.

Stephenxc
04-18-2014, 07:42 AM
Thanks all for the fast replies! Where would one find online videos for this as I have looked and have not seen very much.

hoonk
04-18-2014, 08:14 AM
A transmission software update requires a vida subscription to be able to purchase and download the latest software (if even needed). I don't know if a clone Dice unit connect to a real subscription can perform a download - Perhaps wiser minds on this forum have the answer to that.

Communication options possible (through VIDA w/a dice unit) with the TCM include:
The Transmission Fluid change counter can be reset - Should be done after fluid changes
Resetting the adaptation - Should be done after replacement of trans or valve body
Control module adaptation - I've used it to try to make transmissions shift better :) with varying degrees of success

Xheart
04-18-2014, 08:41 AM
DiCE can perform this task. Do not reset adaptation, you need to put transmission in adaptation mode, not wipe all adaptation out.

step-by-step screen shots vtl?

nickbw
04-18-2014, 10:19 AM
You cannot update the software unless you go to your dealer. What you can do is adjust the way in which your transmission adapts. There are many posts about this subject already. Use the search facility.

nickbw
04-18-2014, 10:29 AM
Yes, dealer only option. Give us al a heads up when it is done!

mperry529
04-18-2014, 10:58 AM
Hi Bud, Can you tell me if you were getting a code for the trans and what car do you have ? I have a 2000 V70XC awd and I have the P2 code P0713 Which is trans. fluid temp. sensor circuit high input code a few times a day and I just recently replaced trans. temp. sensor with new one . Seems like the TCM Related so I just keep clearing the code. Any Idea's ??? Oh yeah were is that inline filter located if you don't mind telling me I would like to change mine too ? Thanks Matt

hoonk
04-18-2014, 11:01 AM
You cannot update the software unless you go to your dealer.

Here in the US - Register at volvotechinfo.com, buy a dice unit, buy a 3,30,or 365 day Vida Subcription. It does not appear you have to be a company to register or purchase. The Vida disc comes next day air, you install, activate your subscription and then can purchase and install new software. I don't know if a clone DICE unit will work, i've only used the real units.

Stephenxc
04-18-2014, 02:27 PM
Hmm, I may end up going to the dealer as things are sounding complicated. I will dig a bit more though before going to the stealer.

Stephenxc
04-18-2014, 08:06 PM
60846085Hi mperry529. I have no codes on my car. Here are a few pics of the inline filter.

hoonk
04-19-2014, 07:06 AM
Hmm, I may end up going to the dealer as things are sounding complicated.

Yes - Dice (and Bluetooth dongle) from Volvo a few years ago ~$1600, 3 day subscription ~$135, software download ~$25-$65, a compatible computer and a few hours of your time to purchase a subscription, install Vida and get Dice to work, Then figure out how to purchase and download new software. Once you've done it a few times it takes less than a half hour to purchase a subscription and a download and install it.

JRL
04-19-2014, 07:13 AM
Not really.
Adaption mode is easy with VIDA but if it's shifting fine, don't bother. You need to do a proper drive cycle after the adaption the minute you've finished
If you don't and you try to drive it without doing the correct drive cycle, it's very weird and will shift abnormally, possibly permanently!
What everyone DOES need to do after fluid changes is to reset the fluid counters, (with VIDA) this is important

Stephenxc
04-19-2014, 08:04 AM
Thanks JRL, can I reset the fluid counters or should I take it in?

S

Tahoe_XC
04-19-2014, 08:30 AM
I find it interesting that if you surf the web for European OEM suppliers you can find Genuine Volvo DICE units for 1/3 the price here in North America. http://www.original-genuine-spare-parts.com/a/volvo/951_/9513000-dice_(volvo).htm

Looks like if you are not willing to risk the Chinese knock-off, that it would pay to take a vacation!