PDA

View Full Version : TD04HL-16T turbo upgrade ....

Blazeahundred
04-10-2014, 10:31 AM
I have a 2001 Volvo v70xc with the 13T light pressure turbo . I want to do a mild upgrade by putting this TD04HL-16T turbo.This TD04HL-16T turbo comes off the T5 . My understanding as long as you know which flange you have it will bolt right up . I will need to upgrade to green injectors . Do I really need to do a computer tune or will it just be fine ? Just looking for some input before I get this started .

Karsten_MZ
04-10-2014, 01:06 PM
Yes you can not drive a bigger turbo without more fitting Software

How much power or torque you want to realize?
In addition, a 3 "downpipe ( Ferrita ) and sport exhaust ( TME / Ferrita ) , green injectors and a larger intercooler is useful

Swagger XC
04-10-2014, 01:28 PM
Since it is a ME7 ecu system fitting a 16t with bigger injectors can be added with the stock tune without causing any damage whatsoever. You wont be making much more horsepower but with the bigger turbo it will be making it easier.

Blazeahundred
04-10-2014, 01:44 PM
The TD04HL-16T turbo is just a mild upgrade and it comes standard in the (2001) V70 T5 2.3l tiptonic . I figured that my 2001 v70XC 2.4l tiptonic could handle the swap without doing any other major things besides green injectors . And later on I could do the additions (downpipe/ exhaust) if I wanted more power.

Blazeahundred
04-10-2014, 01:47 PM
Thank you guys

Blazeahundred
04-10-2014, 01:54 PM
I read that ill get 30 to 40 more horse power it will spool up quicker and drive better on the high way.

Karsten_MZ
04-10-2014, 02:09 PM
But you will not make a profit without ECM adaptation by the 16T Turbo get from T5

Why not 13T with green Injectors, Sportexhaust and ME7 Software (Upgrade by a professional ) => 250 HP???

MacNoob
04-10-2014, 05:45 PM
I read that ill get 30 to 40 more horse power it will spool up quicker and drive better on the high way.

You'll get zero more horsepower without the correct tune in the ECU. In fact, the car will be slower because the larger turbo will take longer to spool up. The ECU determines how much power the engine makes by limiting torque (among other controls). ECU tune needs to match the turbo.

Antherzoll
04-10-2014, 07:40 PM
You should be fine with stock injectors, but you should really look in to DP and exhaust as there is no point in having a larger turbo without flow. Stock airbox is fine, but larger intake piping and charge air piping is a good idea. The stock intercooler has plastic molded endtank and can leak as boost is increased, so look into a FMIC or a welded stock mount, which is good for dropping IAT. A conservitive figure, but this could net to 50bhp and 65ft/lb torque

Please make sure you do a stage 0 and be easy on your tranny. What mileage?

Here is what I'll be doing shortly once the parts all come together.

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?25772-Pullin-The-Trigger-On-the-16T&highlight=pullin

But you will not make a profit without ECM adaptation by the 16T Turbo get from T5

Why not 13T with green Injectors, Sportexhaust and ME7 Software (Upgrade by a professional ) => 250 HP???

If you're looking to do it on the cheap for the best gains, this is about it, although 250hp sounds like a stretch.

Blazeahundred
04-11-2014, 12:11 PM
My XC has 235,xxx but its super clean inside and out . It was in Texas its whole life until I brought it to the east coast two years ago. Its been babied I service it at a official Volvo dealership . Ill done new PVC system , Timing belt and components , Serpentine and components , new ignition coils with blue boot , MAF replacement , New ETM ,new motor mounts , b4 service on the tranny, oil changes every 4k mobil 1 syn , whole front suspension and some rear suspension. There's no check light on

Antherzoll
04-12-2014, 09:19 AM
That's up there in mileage, I'd look in the condition of the fuel pump as that can be an issue with more demand put on the system.

If you are just looking for some extra pep, then do the ECU tune and downpipe/exhaust with stock turbo. The stock turbo with a tune is great for stop light and round town driving as it will give you a great bottom end, but looses steam in the upper RPM range. The 16t still has a good bottom end, but would serve you better on the on-ramps and highway passing, so it's up to your driving style to decide what upgrade is suited to you.

If you feel confident in your vehicles condition, then do it, you won't be disappointed. I can tell you that with my IPD stage 1 it was a nice increase in the feel of the vehicle with a stock exhaust, but that only started a snowball effect to reach for the 16t as I've read many good things about it. Once you start modifying, there is always a little bit more...

Good Luck