PDA

View Full Version : The eXCtate car

beardog
03-23-2014, 01:55 PM
After introducing myself in another thread, I will take a little time to show and describe the XC that I am working on for my brother's estate. Here is the car. It's a 2001 V70XC with 79K miles.5957

When I finally got court approval to get the car I found this nice suprise waiting for me.5958

After poking and determining the possum to be dead I put a string on him and pulled him out. The nest he made was huge. I spent over an hour removing the bulk and then another hour or so hosing the engine bay once I got the car to my house. It was a huge mess but thorough inspection didn't show any chewed wires or components.

This car has sat for a LONG time so first thing was to change the oil and filter (yes, I bought the filter tool). It came out like sludge. I ended up putting a gallon of kerosene through it just to be sure I drained it all. Fresh oil and filter and it was time to proceed.

I installed a new battery and proceeded to check lights, windows etc. There are a few signal lights out but almost all of the electronics work. The HVAC controls didn't seem right and I heard a buzzing noise coming from behind the radio. That noise is on the list. Starting the car was my priority so I installed a new fuel filter which was the easiest I have ever done. Thanks Volvo. Turning the key to on gave me absolutely no pump noise. I finally found the fuel pump relay and jumped it with a paper clip. The pump made some noise so I went to Volvo and got a new relay. After installing it and trying the car on a few gallons of gas and seafoam I have no fuel pressure on the rail or even on the valve by the filter. The pump isn't making any noise now either.

I recall a phone call with my brother years ago where he described symptoms of pump failure. A new Tasca pump is on the way via Ebay for $223 delivered. That beats the $375 that Volvo quoted when I bought the relay. Regardless of anything else I know I need fuel pressure for this car to run and that's what I'm concentrating on. The back seat is flipped forward and I remove the seatbacks. I was suprised to only find on fuel pump access port! I thought there we're two on this model.

That's where I'm at with the car for now, I will update as I go. I'm sure I'll have questions and would very much appreciate any tips or advice you all can offer!

Swagger XC
03-23-2014, 02:20 PM
There was a recall on the fuel pump and it should be replaced for free depending on what state you live in. It must have been quite a shock with that possum! Seems pretty cool with that low of miles and what I'm assuming is a perfectly good 01 xc transmission. Be sure to flush the fluid out of the transmission since you just past due for a flush. Are you planning on any modifications?

Looks cool and can't wait to see the progress.

beardog
03-24-2014, 06:04 PM
Well unfortunately there is no valid fuel pump recall for this car. I called the local Volvo dealership with the VIN and found out that this car doesn't qualify. The recall is limited to 10 years[mad2],and 100k miles. I don't even know if it WOULD have qualified.

The service manager at Volvo Cincinnati was super cool to me after I explained the situation. I told him what I had done to date and he put me on the phone with a tech named Will. Will gave me good info on how to proceed with my fuel pump replacement. I appreciate them. The new pump is on the way and I have removed the rear seats as needed. Here of a pic of the fuel pump progress. 5976

Both pump access covers are exposed and I'm ready to proceed. I hope to have no major issues with the pump replacement. We'll see. Will is gonna have lunch on me shortly. Pizza or Chipotle, hmm... both are close

beardog
03-24-2014, 06:19 PM
Swagger XC, yes the possum was a suprise! Slight jump on my part but no scream, I got that going for me. It was more of an "Oh no..." feeling.

Trans flush is a great idea. I'm going to focus on running first and then I will address drivability issues.

The only mods I have in mind... non-running to running is the biggest mod I have in mind at this point. I wish I could keep this car for myself and realize it's potential. These cars are awesome and have a lot going for them. Volvo for a Ford employee like myself is kinda like a cousin even though the parents have divorced.