PDA

View Full Version : 2002 XC70 Strong Engine Shake

ddandino
03-21-2014, 07:36 AM
I have a 2002 XC70 with 123K miles that all of a sudden developed a serious shaking I though was coming from one of the front tires. I was driving home from my kid’s lacrosse practice and a severe shaking developed. My initial thought was that maybe I had some mud on the tire or something that was causing one of the wheels to be out of balance. I was about 500 yards from my house so I got into my driveway and put it in park. I then realized it was actually coming from the engine and if I revved the engine to about 2500 rpm it would create a noticeable shake. It was dark so I shut the engine off and a figured I would deal with it at daylight. I did notice a weird burning smell. This morning I went see what was going on. The car started no problem but has a noticeable shake like the ignition is missing. Listening from the tailpipe it sounds like this is the issue. I have NO LIGHTS / NO CODES so what might this be? A bad coil? But wouldn’t that throw a CEL? I looked to see if I could see any vacuum hoses disconnected but I didn’t see anything obvious (but I am far from a mechanic most everything I know about the car I learned here! Thanks! ). If you remember my past posts I have been having an intermittent CEL P2096 but that has not surfaced in a couple of months. Any help would be much appreciated …

Dan

Astro14
03-21-2014, 11:29 AM
Broken motor mount. Ever replace them? Might be more than 1 broken.....

JRL
03-21-2014, 11:45 AM
Eh...
He won't get a BAD shake from that.

To the OP are you sure you haven't seen a flashing CEL which would be a misfire.
Regardless the obvious first choice would be a coil took a crap.
I'll bet if you get the codes read by VIA (dealer or private) you will have some code stored and my guess will be a misfire code

ddandino
03-21-2014, 12:13 PM
Thanks so much for the replies JRL and Astro !

Astro ... I am pretty sure they have never been replaced ... I will check it out as I did mention it almost seemed to me that it was a tire / suspension issue when it happened. I will look up where they are located and report back.

JRL ... as far as flashing CEL ... did not see one and I am pretty sure it did not come on as I have been watching intently for that light as it has been weeks since my last P2096 code ... I think I may order a set of the IPD coils and a set of Volvo plugs ... at 123000 miles it couldn't hurt right? Sound like a good idea?

Thanks again for all your help ...

Dan

JRL
03-21-2014, 12:22 PM
Don't waste your money on IPD coils
Don't waste your money on Volvo coils
Most decent aftermarket coils are just fine for an XC

Thames
03-21-2014, 01:10 PM
Don't waste your money on IPD coils
Don't waste your money on Volvo coils
Most decent aftermarket coils are just fine for an XC

Really ?
I think Lesjofors is the OEM supplier.
I've seen Suplex coils for less money (under 100$).

JRL
03-21-2014, 01:49 PM
I don't know who makes them for Volvo (that was not the point) what IS but don't buy them from Volvo (blue box)
I buy coils for about $55-$58

Antherzoll
03-21-2014, 03:07 PM
Bosch is OEM.

FCPeuro.com has Volvo OE coils and will price match if you find cheaper OE coil. Eeuroparts.com has Bosch and offers a discount. PM me is intersted in the promo code.

men2be
03-21-2014, 03:30 PM
51.79 Bosch at Rockauto

Antherzoll
03-21-2014, 04:44 PM
IPD coils have great reviews, and I have ordered a set to install on my next upgrade. Apparently the way they are marketed suggests that they are built better then OE, and the many reviews from the customer base has shown that they work quite well. As well they are priced at $49.95, cheapest I can find from a reputable source for aftermarket ignition coils. I'm sure flea-bay has some killer discounts on aftermarket coil as well, but I don't know of any that I would suggest.

vtl
03-21-2014, 05:37 PM
Sticky VVT solenoid?

ddandino
03-22-2014, 09:26 AM
5953JRL - The only reason I suggested IPD is they were a couple of dollars more then I could get them at a store like Advanced or Autozone and I just had a better feeling about them ... also if I was going to change the coils I figured it was a good time to do the plugs and IPD had the best price I could find for the Volvo OEM.

I think I may have found the problem ... I not sure if this is a broken motor mount but attached is a picture of what to me looks to be a broken mount. This was taken on the passenger side directly below the area where the power steering pump is. It looks askew to me ... Could this be the problem? Also what other mounts should I replace? The upper has no movement and is the new square version. I was thinking the front trans mount but what else I'd like to just knock these out why it's up on the lift.

Thanks ...

Dan

JRL
03-22-2014, 10:01 AM
I don't know what that is by the picture unless a tie rod broke

Antherzoll
03-22-2014, 10:44 AM
That looks like your control arm bushing, and it doesn't look in great shape from the picture

ddandino
03-26-2014, 06:02 PM
JRL my hats off to you ... while letting the engine run to see if I could physically see movement a CEL came on pointing to the # 2 coil. I swapped it out and it is running like a champ. I have had a coil go on a V8 and the engine ran a bit rough. I cannot believe what a coil out feels like on an inline 5 cylinder. It was like something was seriously wrong with the suspension or tire while driving and when in neutral like the engine was flopping around under the hood! I guess you been around enough of these 5 cylinder Volvos that they are second hand to you ... Thanks again !

JRL
03-26-2014, 07:05 PM
Good, now check your control arms and the rest of your suspension