PDA

View Full Version : V70XC Ham Radio Tips?

linux_author
12-01-2003, 08:09 AM
- any tips from v70xc ham radio operators? i'm using a 2M rig right now, an ft-2800M... the rig sits underneath my right forearm under the flip rest and facing forward (i use use the mic to set frequencies or to toggle to the NOAA WX station)...

- the antenna is a monoband SB25 mounted on an ATOC mag mount on the rear center of the roof (it will take two heavy guys or a broomhandle to remove the mount)...

- i'm contemplating a move to VHF/UHF/HF, as i have an FT-857, but was wondering if any folks have come up with a good permanent mount, single antenna solution, along with power... i'm not going to go QRO, so a 100W rig is fine...

- i believe the V70's power outlets can handle up to 20A with no problem? i know the best solution is to tap direct to the battery, but i'm not sure if i want to remote head the rig (which will require running remote cable, along with coax)...

- tia for any tips!

bill, kg4zqz

sachsarch
12-01-2003, 12:14 PM
I have a 2004 XC70. Was using IC2100H with mag mt through 10A fused cigarette lighter plug. I suppose voltage dips wewre cause of my losing PL and repeater after a few Transmissions. now I need to wire 12 volts to the binding post on the fuse box under hood, in front of driver. The dealer suggested that, but doesn't have quick ideas for getting the wires through the firewall. Will be installing 706 when I get the power figured out. have used many HF antennas on other cars. Looked at some tailgate mounts, they won't open far enough to grap the Volvo metal. Luggage rack mount looks good but has no ground. Any ideas abt 12 volt hookup? Still thinking abt antennas for HF.
Marv, K2IPH

cschmelz
12-01-2003, 02:36 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (sachsarch @ Dec. 01 2003,11:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have a 2004 XC70. Was using IC2100H with mag mt through 10A fused cigarette lighter plug. I suppose voltage dips wewre cause of my losing PL and repeater after a few Transmissions. now I need to wire 12 volts to the binding post on the fuse box under hood, in front of driver. The dealer suggested that, but doesn&#39;t have quick ideas for getting the wires through the firewall. Will be installing 706 when I get the power figured out. have used many HF antennas on other cars. Looked at some tailgate mounts, they won&#39;t open far enough to grap the Volvo metal. Luggage rack mount looks good but has no ground. Any ideas abt 12 volt hookup? Still thinking abt antennas for HF.
Marv, K2IPH[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
My recommendation would be a remote head mount receiver. &nbsp;I have a dual band Yaesu mounted in my S60 (and will likely get moved to my V70R) &nbsp;Power is VERY easy to get from the battery in the BACK of the vehicle.

My receiver is very near the battery hidden behind some of the side panels. &nbsp;The control cable is then routed under the door panels to the front and the control head is mounted to the top of the dash just above the hazard lights switch with industrial strength double sided sticky tape. &nbsp;It is a great setup

The rear mounting of the receiver has multiple advantages included lower risk of theft (where is it? Nobody can find it) closer to power and MUCH closer to the antenna. &nbsp;I personally am NOT a fan of mag mounts for PERMANENT installations and would probably utilize a Diamond mount to the rear hatch..Very stable, very clean

This would be an especially nice install with one of the modern 80m-70cm rigs from Kenwood and such (especially given their expense)

linux_author
12-03-2003, 12:30 PM
marv (K2IPH)...

you can pull power full time from the powerport in the rear cabin, but i&#39;m not sure this is a good idea (e.g., you forget to turn rig off)...

i&#39;ve been using the 2800M since last April (set at 25W) and plugged into the power port facing the rear seats with no problems (power is turned off when ignition is off)...

direct connection to the battery using 10ga wire is a must if one contemplates 100W HF ops.. of course, mobile antenna efficiencies will effectively limit radiated power to as little as 1 watt on the lower bands, such as 80M, even when the rig is set to 100W output...

i think the remote head idea is definitely best&#33; ICOM is running a special right now, so you can get the remote kit free with a new 706MKIIG... unfortunately, i bought an FT-857, so i&#39;ll need to pop for the remote kit...

i still don&#39;t want to drill any holes... MFJ has a new VHF/HF antenna with a PL-259 mount, so i&#39;ll need to groundstrap the mag mount...

i&#39;m still waiting to see pics of an XC ham op who had the cajones to drill a permanent mount... or a pic of a working tailgate mount for an HF antenna (doubtful about the strength factor on that type of mount)...

btw, QTH is Arlington, Va.

bill, KG4ZQZ

ZS6XU
12-17-2018, 08:51 AM
Hi Bill, it's 2018 now, I bought a 2002 V70XC from a guy, fixed her up and she is fine, going to drill holes, I mean, the car only cost me the equivalent of $ 4000.00 (ZAR 60 000.00)
going to fit a full HF ball mount on the right rear fender (between the fuel door and tail light) and a VHF and UHF antenna set on the roof at the back near the tailgate
Fitting my one IC-706MKII + AH4 and an ICOM 6065 for UHF, in the front I'll use a RAM mount to hold the heads and a tablet

ZS6XU
12-17-2018, 10:45 AM
Hi Guys, going to drill holes, I hate to do this to such a beautiful car but, who cares, it's now 17 years old and the value will definitely not suffer, especially here in Africa. I paid $4000 for her and have fixed all the niggly problems, still have to do the handbrake shoes and the aircon fan, but lots to do, so when I run the cables for the 706 and 6065 ICOM radios, I may as well do the fan, I am a Liqui Moly distributor and have all the lubes that will last the lifetime of this car (probably me too, I'm 57!!!) going to use the 2018 Holidays to work on my baby