PDA

View Full Version : MAF Removal and Cleaning/Replace

tmurph05
03-08-2014, 05:06 PM
How to remove the MAF on my 05? Should I clean it? If so - what should I use?

Astro14
03-09-2014, 07:58 AM
Yes, cleaning it once every so often (like 30,000 miles) is reasonable PM.

Use MAF cleaner. Nothing else. No carb cleaner. No throttle body cleaner. MAF cleaner only.

It's held onto your airbox with two torx screws and to the intake pipe with one hose clamp.

I recommend becoming familiar with the resources section of the forum.
http://www.volvoxc.com/0/resources/how-to/pdf/xc_maf_sensor.pdf

Scopeman
03-09-2014, 08:34 AM
And don't poke at it!

TheDarkKnightt
03-09-2014, 10:29 AM
One other thing, on my 2005, it is held in place by two five point Torx security screws.
Go ahead and order a cheap 5-point set of security Torx off the net. It will come in handy other places on this car. I paid about $6. for a set with a little wrench.

If you don't want to do that, use a set of needle nosed vise grips and get ahold of the screws edges, remove them and replace them with a similar stainless philips screw.

I had done this, but put the security torx back.

Lastly, if you are using a K&N filter on this car, throw it away immediately. MAF's don't work well with the oil off of these clean-n-oil filters- it kills them!
Use paper filers and change often. K&N's are fine on anything without a MAF.
Paper filters= long lasting MAF
Oil+MAF=$$$$ (new sensor)

Also, if the sensor is coming apart, don't try to reseal it. It's time for a new sensor.

tmurph05
03-09-2014, 11:08 AM
One other thing, on my 2005, it is held in place by two five point Torx security screws.
Go ahead and order a cheap 5-point set of security Torx off the net. It will come in handy other places on this car. I paid about $6. for a set with a little wrench.

If you don't want to do that, use a set of needle nosed vise grips and get ahold of the screws edges, remove them and replace them with a similar stainless philips screw.

I had done this, but put the security torx back.

Lastly, if you are using a K&N filter on this car, throw it away immediately. MAF's don't work well with the oil off of these clean-n-oil filters- it kills them!
Use paper filers and change often. K&N's are fine on anything without a MAF.
Paper filters= long lasting MAF
Oil+MAF=$$$$ (new sensor)

Also, if the sensor is coming apart, don't try to reseal it. It's time for a new sensor.

I am using a Fram filter - is that a bad choice for this car? It was a Canadian tire buy, I replaced it a week after I bought the car (about a month ago).

JRL
03-09-2014, 11:56 AM
Any PAPER (no oil) filter is fine

howardc64
03-09-2014, 12:09 PM
On the MAF torx screw, it is kinda screwy at least on the 2 01s I've had. Both had security (requires hole in the middle), 1 was 5 star pattern, another was standard torx 6 star pattern. Not sure what 05 evolved to. Take a closer look, use Macromode on camera to help if necessary.

You can also carefully cut a slot across the head with a dremel tool and use a flat head screw driver. Need to be careful and not make the slot too wide so the driver head can get a bite.

tmurph05
03-09-2014, 02:18 PM
On the MAF torx screw, it is kinda screwy at least on the 2 01s I've had. Both had security (requires hole in the middle), 1 was 5 star pattern, another was standard torx 6 star pattern. Not sure what 05 evolved to. Take a closer look, use Macromode on camera to help if necessary.

You can also carefully cut a slot across the head with a dremel tool and use a flat head screw driver. Need to be careful and not make the slot too wide so the driver head can get a bite.

You were right, it had the security measures (I don't know who would steal a MAF.. ). I was able to get it off using straight medium sized vice grips. It didn't look overly dirty, albeit it was the first MAF I have seen. I cleaned it regardless and put it back in.. we shall see how that turns out.

guymon
03-10-2014, 06:46 AM
I had MAF problems and cleaning it fix the problems but only for a short time. I ended up replacing it and the issues never resurfaced again.