PDA

View Full Version : I知 looking for the size of different bolts, star bits and hex bits

stlnoble
03-08-2014, 12:30 PM
hello,
looking for what size the brakes hex bit on the caliper and the nut/bolt holding the rotor on are to do a brake job.also what size is the hex head on the radiator hose clamp. I tried to look through the different list on this site but could not find them. the reason is I don't have the tools and have to go buy them and don't want to buy full sets
thanks patrick

Steve F
03-08-2014, 02:06 PM
I don't know off hand what the sizes are. My comment to you will be to buy one individual torx socket will cost you nearly half what a full set will. You can get a full set of Torx and Hex sockets for about $20 at Harbor Freight. They aren't the highest quality but they are fine for the occasional use of a home mechanic.

stlnoble
03-08-2014, 04:33 PM
What is Harbor Freight?

Tahoe_XC
03-08-2014, 05:46 PM
What is Harbor Freight?

Google it! If it sells tools you are at the right place! (JRL, I feel your pain)

Xheart
03-09-2014, 05:46 AM
Home depot has started automotive tools section. I was surprized with prices and choices. The guy says it is Craftsman's.

Astro14
03-09-2014, 07:54 AM
It's foolish to buy just the individual sizes when you don't already have the set. Shop around. You can get the set for what you would pay to buy just two or three individual sockets/bits...

I am not a Harbor Freight fan, but many reasonable quality tool sets are out there. Look for a lifetime warranty. Craftsman is reasonable quality. Wait for a sale since you're not diving in right away...

Tahoe_XC
03-09-2014, 08:58 AM
The sad thing with Craftsman is most are made in China these days.

On sockets, it is conceivable that Craftsman are made in the same factory that makes Harbor Freight's Pittsburgh brand the only difference could be the laser etch processing operation. At the end of the day both have lifetime warranties. It is hard to say there is a difference other than price.

However, i do believe there is a difference in ratchet quality... Craftsman wins this one! But still does not compare to Snapon... If I only had the $$$.

Astro14
03-09-2014, 03:37 PM
Snap-on and Mac are great tools, but given the OP's budget concerns, I would lean towards the lower (not lowest) end of the price spectrum. I've broken quite a few cheap tools. Hardly ever broken a Craftsman, unless I was abusing it. Tools with a lifetime warranty are made to a reasonable standard and should suit his budget well.

But oh, yes, if I ever won the Powerball, you could just back that Snap-on truck up to my garage because I'm buying one of everything you've got!

Steve F
03-09-2014, 08:17 PM
If you won the Powerball, why not buy the whole damn truck and keep it as your toolbox?? [thumbup]

guymon
03-10-2014, 06:54 AM
If you won the power ball, why are you fixing your own car?

Astro14
03-10-2014, 07:05 PM
If you won the power ball, why are you fixing your own car?

Look at the cars in my sig. Not everything is a daily driver...some are hobbies unto themselves...

That, and certified Packard mechanics are rare...

tnduc
03-16-2014, 12:55 PM
The nice thing about Craftsman, other than the affordable quality, is the warranty. I busted a Craftsman socket once (jumping on a breaker bar attempting to loosen a seized bolt) and then took it to my local Ace Hardware and handed it to them. They pulled a new one off the shelf and handed it to me, no questions asked.