PDA

View Full Version : Language change via post....thoughts?

XC70CC
03-07-2014, 09:07 PM
My 01 xc70 is a Japanese spec model and its user interface is in Japanese too which really bugs me.

I have really looked into changing the language to English but it can only be done at a dealership and we have no Volvo dealers in the country:D

So I thought of buying a clone Vida but that wouldn't help too since it needs an old Win XP laptop with IE8 and dice has to connect to Volvo mother ship to update software and download language etc.. so it all seems too complicated and expensive since I will have to buy subscription to connect to mother ship etc.

So I was thinking of removing the ECU from the car and sending it to a dealership in Dubai via my brother... where they can update all the software versions and change the language too... What do you guys think, would it be possible?

Thanks!

XC70CC
03-08-2014, 05:21 AM
Bump.....

JRL
03-08-2014, 05:25 AM
Owning a Volvo in a country with no Volvo dealer is a very risky proposition!!!!! :confused:

XC70CC
03-08-2014, 07:23 AM
Owning a Volvo in a country with no Volvo dealer is a very risky proposition!!!!! :confused:

I have three VWs and no dealer in the country.....Thankfully we have dealers for MB, BMW and LR but they are all idiots thats why I do whatever has to be done myself.

I have a Volvo, this forum and you guys so that should do it!

JRL
03-08-2014, 07:32 AM
But you need VIDA and what if you need a download for new software?

XC70CC
03-08-2014, 07:43 AM
But you need VIDA and what if you need a download for new software?

Well then....I dunno.

Send the ECU to the dealer?

JRL
03-08-2014, 09:01 AM
You can't, parts have to be in the car and not neccessarily the ECU
ANY new electrical part you may need to install requires VIDA to initialize it!

Being where you are, used parts are probably non existent!

Say you need a door lock, a window switch, etc. all of those need initialization
Get my drift?
At best you should at least buy a VIDA-DICE unit, some of this you then can do yourself

XC70CC
03-08-2014, 09:32 AM
New or used nothing is available, not even an oil filter. Everything has to be imported from Dubai, UK, US etc.

Yes I do plan on getting those Chinese Vida Dice. If I understand correctly Vida is the hardware and Dice is the software? When I buy the Chinese clones ones (thats whatyou guys are using?) I get Vida and Dice?

nickbw
03-08-2014, 10:07 AM
You don't need a laptop with XP, you need a laptop with Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate (or possibly Windows 8) and a minimum of 2GB RAM (preferably 4GB) memory and a HDD with 100GB of free space . Be prepared to keep it exclusively for Vida / DiCE. The software installs without any difficulty since the OS has an "XP mode" which acts as a Virtual Mode. The Chines cloned stuff has sufficient instructions to enable installation. There are also a number of online sources of "how to s". - Alternatively a Macbook Pro with a VM installed copy of Microsoft Windows 7, Pro or Ultimate, will support Vida very well. If you really must use XP then get on and install it now, so you can get the OS fully updated with security and other fixes before APRIL 8th, when Microsoft will finally give up support of this system. Once installed and updated to use Vida you do not need an internet connection, so you can switch off connection and cease to worry about the insecurity and vulnerability to hacking!

XC70CC
03-14-2014, 08:13 PM
So my question remains.. Can I remove and send my ecu to the dealer to get the language changed to english?

Antherzoll
03-15-2014, 07:18 PM
The language in the combined instrument panel can be changed. This is done by ordering new software for the driver information module from the replacement parts catalogue. In the replacement parts catalogue there is software for reloading the driver information module (reloading driver information module) and software for changing to 15 different languages. Reloading reloads the same software that was installed before the control module was replaced.

In english. The language setting is set in the DIM, not the ECU. You require a VIDA/DICE hook-up with a subscription to download software to change the language display.

Maybe you can order a new DIM with the language setting changed in it, but I'm not sure.
http://www.xemodex.com/technologyimproved/drivers-information-module-for-volvo/

Sorry no dealer, no DICE (see what i did there :p)

XC70CC
03-19-2014, 02:25 AM
The language in the combined instrument panel can be changed. This is done by ordering new software for the driver information module from the replacement parts catalogue. In the replacement parts catalogue there is software for reloading the driver information module (reloading driver information module) and software for changing to 15 different languages. Reloading reloads the same software that was installed before the control module was replaced.

In english. The language setting is set in the DIM, not the ECU. You require a VIDA/DICE hook-up with a subscription to download software to change the language display.

Maybe you can order a new DIM with the language setting changed in it, but I'm not sure.
http://www.xemodex.com/technologyimproved/drivers-information-module-for-volvo/

Sorry no dealer, no DICE (see what i did there :p)

Thanks for the reply, I will look into this!

Antherzoll
03-19-2014, 03:22 AM
http://www.ARDtuning.com has just launched a softloader for their tunes. Apparently they can change DIM settings with it, such as language and messages. Maybe worth dropping them a e-mail.

XC70CC
03-19-2014, 05:59 AM
http://www.ARDtuning.com has just launched a softloader for their tunes. Apparently they can change DIM settings with it, such as language and messages. Maybe worth dropping them a e-mail.

Yup will do that... Thanks!