PDA

View Full Version : This SUV will be the salvation of Volvo...or not!

JRL
03-04-2014, 05:52 AM
If they don't get it right..... Volvo (VCNA) in the US is history!
This is not my opinion, this is the opinion of a senior VP at Volvo and others at Volvo!
This is also why it's over a year late, test, test and more testing. Design, redesign, etc
This vehicle went through so many changes in the last 4 years, it's not funny.

Whatever is turns out to be, this car will be nothing any of us have ever seen from Volvo
I hope they make it!

Astro14
03-05-2014, 04:23 AM
Me too!

sjonnie
04-10-2014, 03:08 PM
I don't really see this as being the savior of VCNA but who knows, maybe they will add a more SUV type body design.

Does look like it could be a nice roomy XC wagon though.

tgwillard
04-11-2014, 06:59 PM
When will the new XC90 be announced?

sjonnie
05-30-2014, 08:25 AM
When will the new XC90 be announced?

August 2014

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2015-volvo-xc90-interior/#photo-2640620/

tranmkp
05-15-2015, 11:51 AM
I spent an hour with the new 90 this Tuesday - This is my take-away.

1. They are going to sell a ****load of them - my wife (hard core volvo person) went ape-**** over it.
2. It is BIG, like Tahoe big but rounder. Think Grand Cherokee has Child with Audi Q7.
3. It feels like a 4 cyl. There is some subtle vibes. Drove ok. Did not drive on freeway so I can tell you anything about that. However, when you have that kind of horsepower in that small displacement and that heavy of a vehicle you have to wonder what the life span of the engine is. There is a reason why red blocks last so long...
4. Its quiet but what new 50k SUV is not these days.
5. Interior is ok. Touchscreen is nice. No, not Tesla nice. Interior is more dramatic in the light color. Wife loved the little crystal start /stop gimmick.
6. All seats fold flat - nice -
7. Turning circle is ok, bigger that what most volvo owners would like to have.

XCovlov70
05-29-2015, 11:31 AM
But.......

Would you buy one?

I must say though that the price in the USA seems to be considerably less that that which is being required to shell out over this side of the Pond.

barrysharp
02-28-2016, 05:58 PM
A week ago I traded in my 2012 XC70 T6 with Polestar for a 2016 XC90 T6 with Polestar. The XC90 drives as well as the XC70 did/does. The XC90's 4-banger is as smooth as the XC70's 6-banger but with a little more engine noise to be heard as it revs more freely and a bit higher when pressed hard.

Wife and I love this 2016 XC90 and its extra space and technology compared to the 2012 XC70. The center Sensus touch screen (the size of an Apple iPad mini) is a bit overwhelming at first but after a few days and reading some of the Owner manuals it begins to be easier and easier and navigating its swipes and pinches start to makes sense.

If you love music then go for the B & W Sound System. It's awesome and expensive and if you want the Gothenburg Concert Hall environment there's a special setting just for that.

I'm finding the fuel economy for the XC90 is better than the XC70. This was my expectation considering the XC70 was a 3 liter vs. 2 liter for the XC90.

We had started to tow our Ranger Tug 21-EC boat with the XC70 and that was at the very limit of what the XC70 was speed for. With the 5000 lb towing capacity of the XC90 I'm much happier and feel more safe towing the boat.

The Heads Up Display (HUD) is simply awesome/wonderful. The Navigation info is now in 3 places; on the center screen, between the driver's dashboard's dials and in the HUD. No more eye drifting when driving and navigating for me.

The Voice control works well... Tried "Take me Home" and the Nav system does the right thing. "Raise passenger temp to 74" and it does so. "Goto <daughter's name>" and the system looks up my daughter's contact info and then Nav plots a route to her home.

I can send map destinations to the XC90 via my iPhone/iPad, remote engine start, and so on..... Technology.....

Overall, this 2016 XC90 T6 very nice., and it drives/feels no bigger than the previous XC70 T6.

The T8 is also a great consideration, but pricey at this time.... maybe in 4 years time we'll switch over to it.

XCovlov70
03-02-2016, 01:00 PM
Hi Barry!
Sounds like you are having a really nice time with your new XC90!
However I have to ask.......

Does it have the facility of a High Output Power Supply in the boot/trunk that you can part cook a meal via an Inverter & that Slow Cooker, while hitched up and towing your boat for a fishing or pleasure trip and then continue the cooking when you are riding the waves?

Forkster
03-03-2016, 04:57 PM
Glad to hear 'someone' is enjoying the new XC90 - though I have yet to see a single new XC90 in my city. Not one. I do see a tonne of P2 XC90's - and lots of XC60's and some P3 XC70's - most are still P2 XC70's.

But I am surprised that there is very little uptake on the XC90. Does the pricing model for the new XC90 now puts it into 'mid-high' end luxury category? Isn't it price right there with BMW X5, Mercedes Benz GL, or the Lexus GX? Because a nicely equipped Lexus RX350 is cheaper than the XC90. Why did Volvo price the XC90 as a high end european luxury brand and made it no longer affordable middle-class income earners (the previous target market)?

Do you need to be making $250k+ a year to afford a $70-90k SUV?

Don't get me wrong, the XC90 has grown on me. But it's no longer priced for my income bracket.