PDA

View Full Version : No sound from front speakers

brick8
02-02-2014, 08:22 PM
I just replaced the stock hu613 headunit on my 2004 xc70 with a kenwood unit from crutchfield. I wasn't getting any sound from the front speakers (either side) and I wanted something with bluetooth. The installation was pretty easy and I like all the features on the new headunit. The only issue is that I still have no sound from the front speakers. Before I start pulling the front door panels and replacing the stock speakers, I thought I should check here first to see if something else is at fault. It seems strange to me that both sides would go out at the same time.

bbbuzzy
02-02-2014, 08:51 PM
I'd recommend checking the wiring. The drivers might be fine.

swimNdrive
02-03-2014, 03:45 PM
I would think most likely the issue is within the wiring harness. I would try to swap the hu613 back and test it to make sure the speakers are functioning. If they do, then for sure you have problem with the wiring harness. I supposed you are using one of those adapter for the new HU. I would check there first. There should be some information came with the new adapter. That should be carefully check.

brick8
02-03-2014, 08:10 PM
I will check on it this weekend. It really could be the speakers. When I move the fader all the way to the front (old or new HU) and turn up the volume, I do get weak crackly sound out of the front speakers.

brick8
02-08-2014, 04:09 PM
The cardboard part of the midrange speaker was totally separated from the speaker housing. I bought a set of MB Quart component speakers and installed the passenger side today. Too cold out to finish the job, hope to get the second one in tomorrow. Ignore the advice in various postings that you need to drill out the old mount rivets, no reason to do so. I was able to pull the old speaker out of the bracket and prewire the new one. I then pulled the wires through a hole that was covered with foam in the door before putting the new speaker in the mount. I used three phillips head screws to secure the new speaker to the volvo bracket.

swimNdrive
02-10-2014, 03:12 AM
The cardboard part of the midrange speaker was totally separated from the speaker housing. I bought a set of MB Quart component speakers and installed the passenger side today. Too cold out to finish the job, hope to get the second one in tomorrow. Ignore the advice in various postings that you need to drill out the old mount rivets, no reason to do so. I was able to pull the old speaker out of the bracket and prewire the new one. I then pulled the wires through a hole that was covered with foam in the door before putting the new speaker in the mount. I used three phillips head screws to secure the new speaker to the volvo bracket.

I hope you have taken a lot of pictures and post them here. A little write up would be nice. Thanks

brick8
02-10-2014, 08:37 AM
OK, I will try to do this when I replace the driver side door speakers next weekend. I hope it above zero and my fingers have thawed out by then!