PDA

View Full Version : Swapping Sound system between 2003 and 2004 XC70

BackinaVolvo!
01-31-2014, 06:54 AM
Thanks for all the sound advice on NOT repairing my blown bag 04 XC70.

I've recently purhased an 03 XC70 from Ontario that's been lovingly looked after.
My now salvaged 04 has a beauty sound system in it, VU-803, my 03 is a VU-613.
Are they the same animal as the 803 sounds much more powerful/better?
Can I replace the 613 with the 803 system including speaker set?
Is it a straight swap, any extra wiring, need more fuses?

JRL
01-31-2014, 08:05 AM
The 2004 has the DARK grey color dash trim (and radio) the 01 to 03 is light grey, it does not match in color
Mechanically you can use it, no difference there.

If you do the swap you need to find the under seat 300 watt AMP, the harness and a center speaker.
You should be able to find all this used
The speaker is pre-wired in these cars so that's a bolt in, there is no separate Dolby processor like the early cars, it's built into the 803.
It's pretty easy except you do need to remove the passenger seat and the right side of the console to bolt the amp and run the harness to the HU.
You should also buy the special bolt that attaches the amp to the side of the console
That being said, I didn't have it when I converted mine so ithe amp just sits on the carpet, no harm no foul.
It doesn't go anywhere

guyeye
01-31-2014, 08:07 AM
Same animal- easy swap. Don't forget about the amp under your salvage's passenger seat. the 803 will not even work without it.
Please follow the battery disconnect/reconnect procedure to avoid the dreaded SRS warning light. Rock on!

guyeye
01-31-2014, 08:15 AM
Oh yeah- the color thing is a bit annoying. I forgot that I went through two rounds with Erie for my 803 until they worked that out. Strangely, it still isn't a perfect match. My 04 seems to have a darker cluster than the closest match they sent. I did read that "some 04's" were darker than the rest, but I cannot confirm that as fact.
The sound is so good, I look right past it.

Forkster
01-31-2014, 08:35 AM
The HU-803's from 04 and up were graphite black in colour, while 01-03 HU's were dark gray. It's the first I'm hearing that you'll need the AMP for the 803 to work though... maybe the HU-803 doesn't have a built in amplifier? I know all about this because I tried fiddling around with this a couple years ago when my 3 year old (at the time) used my HU-803 as a piggy bank. Interesting that I rarely use the CD player in my vehicles anymore so if it was to happen now, I wouldn't give a fart (I have a iMEV iPod doc).

Let me know if you have any more technical questions, I'm sure to answer them from my frack-ups and learnings in swapping out HU803's and HU-613's. :)

BackinaVolvo!
01-31-2014, 08:41 AM
Cool.
So I can therefore pull the centre speaker and amp from the 04, assume all the speaker "cabinets" as standard so could swap speakers out fairly easily, with lots of panel removal etc.
And you're talking about a particular bolt? Like a bolt with a Volvo part number type bolt?
Sounds like I have a weekend project lined up now.
Thanks JRL

BackinaVolvo!
01-31-2014, 08:42 AM
Agreed, less about looks more about sound.

BackinaVolvo!
01-31-2014, 08:44 AM
Cool thanks Ed. Since it'll be out anyway I should hook up a doc for ipods etc too.
What's that animal look like?

BackinaVolvo!
01-31-2014, 08:50 AM
Bloody SRS, yes, battery reminder thanks.

JRL
01-31-2014, 10:24 AM
Cool.
So I can therefore pull the centre speaker and amp from the 04, assume all the speaker "cabinets" as standard so could swap speakers out fairly easily, with lots of panel removal etc.
And you're talking about a particular bolt? Like a bolt with a Volvo part number type bolt?
Sounds like I have a weekend project lined up now.
Thanks JRL

Yes
Ed, you should know better. ALL Dolby HUs have an external amp, the cheap radios do not
This is from the 90s thru 07

Forkster
01-31-2014, 11:05 AM
Yes
Ed, you should know better. ALL Dolby HUs have an external amp, the cheap radios do not
This is from the 90s thru 07Was trying to connect on the amp requirements for the 613 vs the 803 - tis clearer now - I'll need to update my FAQ doc on the radio's on Swedespeed.

As for connecting an ipod to your unit, that's a little trickier. Do you have NAV? You will need an external third-party hook-up system like the iMiV - http://www.imiv.ca/cms/. Depending on whether or not you have NAV or Melbus prepped depends on the system you need. http://www.imiv.ca/cms/products/package-creator/ - around $230 CAD + cables for the higher end model.

Forkster
01-31-2014, 11:05 AM
Yes
This is from the 90s thru 07Was trying to connect on the amp requirements for the 613 vs the 803 - tis clearer now - I'll need to update my FAQ doc on the radio's on Swedespeed.

As for connecting an ipod to your unit, that's a little trickier. Do you have NAV? You will need an external third-party hook-up system like the iMiV - http://www.imiv.ca/cms/. Depending on whether or not you have NAV or Melbus prepped depends on the system you need. http://www.imiv.ca/cms/products/package-creator/ - around $230 CAD + cables for the higher end model.

Swagger XC
01-31-2014, 11:45 AM
Remember that you need the front door panels as well because the premium speaker will NOT fit behind the standard door panels.

BackinaVolvo!
01-31-2014, 12:56 PM
Was trying to connect on the amp requirements for the 613 vs the 803 - tis clearer now - I'll need to update my FAQ doc on the radio's on Swedespeed.

Thanks Ed, good info. "Volvo" Moose stickers?

BackinaVolvo!
01-31-2014, 12:57 PM
Dang, good to know, I'll just keep swapping stuff out until it's rock and roll.

JRL
01-31-2014, 03:28 PM
Remember that you need the front door panels as well because the premium speaker will NOT fit behind the standard door panels.

Cheaper in the long run to just go with decent aftermarket speakers as I did.
In the end it will sound about the same

BackinaVolvo!
01-31-2014, 04:00 PM
Any idea the specs needed? 8 ohm, 25 watts, or?

guyeye
01-31-2014, 04:13 PM
I love my Infinity Kappas in all the doors with my 803 and PA-300 (amp). Center channel and rear pillars are Volvo specific. kept those OEM. If you have the PA-300, you get 300 watts total (@ 8 ohms). Not sure exactly how that power is distributed.

Swagger XC
01-31-2014, 05:02 PM
Cheaper in the long run to just go with decent aftermarket speakers as I did.
In the end it will sound about the same

Just sayin if he already has the speakers and door panels might as well swap them anyway.