PDA

View Full Version : My first XC90... Already frustrated

StreetRat
01-30-2014, 05:47 PM
So a few days ago I bought my wife a 2007 XC90 (3.2 AWD). The individual I bought it from had it serviced at the local volvo dealership and I got all the service records. Well when I test drove it I noticed a noise coming from the front passenger side. He said they knew about it and were going to get it fixed by the dealership before selling. Well the mechanics at volvo told them that it was the front right strut which was bad and not what they originally thought, so they convinced him to getting both struts replaced, as well as the seats and mounts. So a few days later and his checking account having $1254 less in it, they were able to pick it up.

I've had so much crap going on at work I allowed my wife to let the sellers wife (don't ever let a female sell another female a car and expect everything to check out) deliver it to our home and pay them. All I had time to do was visually confirm the struts were new. Well the next day I drove it and the noise is still there. I took it to volvo today and they looked at it only to inform me that it's the front right CV shaft causing all the noise. They said it has leaked and is torn and they want $900+ to replace it. I called the guy I bought it from and he's going up there tomorrow to figure out why the noise wasn't fixed when that's what he took it in for in the first place. Apparently he's taken it in twice prior asking them where that noise was coming from and they never fixed it...

Anyways, I know I'm going to be stuck with some of this cost in the end. The seller is going to pay for labor if I pay for the part, it sounds like. Unless he convinces volvo to do the labor for free since they didn't correct the issue before he sold it like he THOUGHT they were doing. Can anyone tell me what a good brand is to purchase a front right CV shaft? I looked at OE volvo and it's around $6-700 which is out of my reach. I know their are euro off-brands, some of which are good and some that suck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's been years since I owned a volvo, but it was a S70 and the only thing I ever had to replace was the power steering pump. I could probably replace the CV shaft myself but it would take me a good 3-4 hours or more since it would be my first time fiddling with the XC90 which is totally new to me.

So any links to the part in question that you guys could give me would be a great help.

*Edit*
I've ran across this which is even cheaper than the link you posted:

http://volvopartslisle.com/assembly/77003944/2007-Volvo-XC90/Drive-Shafts

However, that's still more than I want to spend because I'm having to pay half of part and labor cost.*

Can someone please tell me if the front right axle/cv shaft for my vehicle (again, 2007 XC90 3.2L AWD chassis 360932) will also fit the same year, model, and drive system but with a V8 engine? If everything is the same like the transmission and just a different engine, wouldn't the part be interchangeable? I found a cheaper aftermarket replacement but it says it's for the following:

This Product Fits the Following:
Vehicle * * * * * * Sub Model Chassis Range Engine
• 2007 Volvo XC90 AWD * * to 367133 * * * * 4.4L V8*

Thanks!

P.S. - The service manager at volvo (I'm good friends with her husband) said that I need to make sure to leave the tranny fluid alone on this vehicle. When they had the vehicle serviced last year they notated that it's dark but it doesn't smell burn. They said if I were to replace the transmission fluid now the gears would more likely that not start slipping and I'd have to rebuild or replace the transmission. Can anyone explain this to me? Why would replacing the dirty fluid cause the gears to slip all of the sudden?

huzzsaba
02-01-2014, 09:36 AM
Hi,

Congrats on the purchase of your xc90! I understand you are already having trouble with it, but in all honestly, I have always had to fix something here and there whenever I bought a used car even though the car was well maintained. Almost every car I have bought, Ive had to put $500-$1000 in it within the first 2 weeks to get it upto as perfect condition that it could be.

Hopefully the drive shaft gets fixed at no or little cost to you. As far as the transmission fluid is concerned, I would do a drain and fill every 2nd oil change. Here is a link from MVS where folks have done the drain and fill on their xc90s. Seems like the V8 and 3.2 have the same transmission, but I may be wrong.

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=312580#p312580

JRL
02-02-2014, 10:59 AM
Buy a Volvo axle
Here is the cheapest store in the country to buy Volvo OEM parts. Everything is 10% over dealer cost!
You will save a couple of hundred easy
www.tascaparts.com

StreetRat
02-04-2014, 09:55 AM
I've ran across this which is even cheaper than the link you posted:

http://volvopartslisle.com/assembly/77003944/2007-Volvo-XC90/Drive-Shafts

However, that's still more than I want to spend because I'm having to pay half of part and labor cost.

Can someone please tell me if the front right axle/cv shaft for my vehicle (again, 2007 XC90 3.2L AWD chassis 360932) will also fit the same year, model, and drive system but with a V8 engine? If everything is the same like the transmission and just a different engine, wouldn't the part be interchangeable? I found a cheaper aftermarket replacement but it says it's for the following:

This Product Fits the Following:
Vehicle Sub Model Chassis Range Engine
• 2007 Volvo XC90 AWD to 367133 4.4L V8

StreetRat
02-04-2014, 11:17 AM
Why has my original post and other replies been removed? For some reason I can't see anything I've posted...

cecilmeyer
12-11-2014, 07:44 AM
I could not agree with you more.If you buy a used car expect to put a couple thousand dollars fixing things.I work on cars so I know the drill.Still a couple thousand is still cheaper than $45 to 50 thousand for a new one.

hoonk
12-11-2014, 01:08 PM
Can someone please tell me if the front right axle/cv shaft for my vehicle will also fit the same year, model, and drive system but with a V8 engine?

Here are screenshots of the parts catalog -and part numbers don't match for the right front axle, left axles are the same :(

What kind of noise are your trying so solve?