PDA

View Full Version : Who does your oil change?

'03 XCer
06-30-2003, 01:28 PM
I haven't had my first oil change yet but I just want to see what everyone else is doing. I intend to have the dealer do my first oil change around 7,000 miles then I'll take over from there and do my own oil changes.

barrysharp
06-30-2003, 04:34 PM
During my new car warranty ALL my service requirements are performed by my Volvo Dealership. Beyond the warranty period I typically start doing my own servicing such as oil changes etc. As the car gets older and older I tend to to do more and more of the servicing as best I can to maximise my long term ownership value/investment.

Please note that for new 2004 Volvos the first 4 scheduled maintenance checks/services are being performed FREE by the Volvo delearship. This includes the first big service at 30,000 miles. This FREE servicing is worth conservatively to be around $1,000. This aspect may skew your vote statistics.

nsion
06-30-2003, 05:30 PM
My wife and I each own a 98 XC. I have been changing our oil twice yearly, about 5000-7500 miles between changes, using full synthetic Castrol 10W30 in western PA.  Have had no problems, cars start immediately in coldest weather.  Used this same routine, different wife, on 2 -1974 Volvo 145 wagons.  Wrecked one at 145,000 miles and traded the other at 180,000 (that wife wanted air conditioning), both with original engines  Anyone else with experience using synthetic oil?

Hiro's XC
07-01-2003, 09:55 AM
Sythetic has been tried and true for many years. My first BMW was a 318i and it had 70K on it at time of purchase, 52 months later when I sold it the clock read 376K. It burned about a quart and a half in 3000 miles. Mostly due to bad valve guides. I do ALL my own services. PERIOD. Warranty or not. I just don't trust them. You just need to save the reciepts for the products if you have a warranty issue.

Jason

budrichard
07-02-2003, 08:02 AM
I have switched to Mobil 1 and started doing my own oil changes purely for time/traffic conditions. As both my dealers are in Libertyville Il and the roads are in a state of perpetual maintenance, it is easier and faster to do my own. The syn allows me to go 7500 miles between changes. -Dick

littlewaywelt
07-02-2003, 09:36 AM
I don't do my own oil changes for three reasons:
a- I don't know how to do it.
b- I wouldn't know what to do with the used oil.
c- My life seems busy enough without having to spend time doing this kind of service.

I have the dealer do all my oil changes using synthetic (or semi-synthetic if I understand the Castrol correctly). I think it's no conincidence that oil changes coincide with services. If they didn't more people would probably just have the local garage do it, which means less $ for the dealer.
Once the vehicle is older, I'll probably switch to a local gas station for oil changes.
I do plan to start buying Mobil 1 and bringing it to the dealer so at least I'm not getting gouged at the dealer for the Castrol synthetic.

toma nova
07-03-2003, 10:18 AM
I'm with Jason - I do all the service on the XC (and my truck) - oil changes and tire rotations every 5k miles.  Just placed an order with IPD for filter cartridges, a pollen filter, and a filter wrench (a must).  Will buy Techron and Mobil 1 grease or spray at Pep Boys and Mobil 1 10W30 at Costco.  I only have a one-car garage (for the XC) and no major tools, so I consider my self a "shade-sapling" mechanic, but the routine service is easy, satisfying, and cheaper than the dealer.

I will also tackle the brake fluid at 30k miles and probably even pads/rotors when needed.

Tom

kersti
07-03-2003, 10:28 AM
Help! I plan to bring Mobil 1 to my dealers for my first oil change since you all have said that synthetic oil is best for the car and I plan to keep this one for a long time. I noticed that Costco has 5W-30W or 10W-30W, label says the 5W is for newer cars. Which one should I be putting in my 2003XC? I known nothing about oil.

Kersti

Hiro's XC
07-03-2003, 03:02 PM
If I were you I would run the 10w30. It does not get too cold where you are at and it gets plenty hot. The thicker oil will help if you drive the car a little harder, tow, or get stuck in traffic. Yes, you may say that they have the same 30 weight on the top end, but the 10 vs. 5 weights have been tested to perform silghtly better. Not a lot just slightly. I myself run Mobil's Delvac1 full synthetic. It is a diesel oil 5w40 and since I own a diesel it is just more convienent to have one oil around. It also comes only in gallon jugs making it easy to store. Also since I do a LOT of stop and go driving the heavier oil is good as the car gets real hot.

Oh, to answer your question about it stating for newer cars. That is due to almost all manufactuers recomending light weight oils for less friction and thus better fuel economy. That all. Did you know Mazda recomends 0w20 in the new Mazda 6!!! Talk about thin oil! It will be interesting to see how many of those motors are still around in 3-5 years.

Jason
Jason

budrichard
07-04-2003, 04:53 PM
Kerstie, in your owners manual is a chart of which oil specification to use based on the range of outside temperatures to be encountered. 5W30 is for a max of 87F. 10W30 is for higher temperatures. -Dick

1Lieutenant
07-05-2003, 08:07 AM
Mobil 1 has a European formula 0W-40 that meets Mercedes 229.5 specification of extended drain intervals (20-25K).  Mobil 1  0W-30 and 10W-30 are specifically NOT recommended by Mercedes (I really do not know why).  The Mobil 1 5W-30 meets their lesser 229.1 (7.5K) interval. For this reason, I have been using the 0W-40 when I can find it or the Amsoil 0W-30 which does meet 229.5 spec.

I don't know if Volvo tests motor oils like Mercedes does, but I figure there must be a reason why some meet the spec and some don't. FWIW.

Steve

pico de luuks
07-05-2003, 06:55 PM
(1Lieutenant @ July 05 2003,11:07)Mobil 1 has a European formula 0W-40 that meets Mercedes 229.5 specification of extended drain intervals (20-25K). *Mobil 1 *0W-30 and 10W-30 are specifically NOT recommended by Mercedes (I really do not know why). *The Mobil 1 5W-30 meets their lesser 229.1 (7.5K) interval. For this reason, I have been using the 0W-40 when I can find it or the Amsoil 0W-30 which does meet 229.5 spec

Steve, mobil1 0W40 is what I'm using as well.
There is a passage in the owners manual regarding specs the synthetic oil needs to meet when using it. Forgot the details but dealer recommendation backed by some on-line "research" made me choose this one and it's available at the local autozone. I supply the oil to the dealer for the yearly/12,000 mile service.

Here's a quote from the mobil1 website. Technical details for this and other grades are also on their website.

Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 0W-40 is engineered to provide outstanding protection in high-tech European engines. It provides excellent wear protection in high-temperature/hot-running engines.

Benefits of Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 0W-40:

Is recommended for European vehicles (especially newer models).
Offers outstanding protection for high-tech, multi-valve engines.
Protects engines in situations where conventional motor oils may break down.
Meets the engine performance specifications of European automakers, including Mercedes-Benz, Porsche and BMW.
Exceeds API SL/CF
Exceeds ACEA A3/B3/B4-02.
Exceeds Mercedes-Benz 229.3 specification.

Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 0W-40 is factory fill in all Porsche, Mercedes-Benz AMG and Aston Martin vehicles. In addition, Mercedes-Benz approves Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 0W-40 for all its 1998 and newer cars.

Applications:
Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 0W-40 is designed for normally aspirated and turbocharged gasoline engines and light-duty diesel engines. Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 0W-40 provides maximum protection, even during extended-use driving. This formulation is specifically designed for European vehicles that recommend this viscosity grade.

New: Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 0W-40 is now available at AutoZone stores nationwide.

* Follow the viscosity grade and API service category
recommendations in your vehicle owner's manual.

rixc70
10-13-2003, 07:29 PM
where is the oil filter located...is it difficult to change.....
how many quarts of oil does it take.....

can someone please help me?

2002 XC70

Art
10-13-2003, 08:35 PM
Welcome to the site rixc70! http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

By using the search function, you're bound to come across plenty of discussions relating to this topic.

Here are a few to start you off with:

Oil change items. (http://xc70.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=749;hl=oil+change)

Oil Filter, where is it? (http://xc70.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=276;hl=oil+filter)

How to change oil on a 2002 XC70? (http://xc70.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=635;hl=oil+change)

An oil change for the XC takes just over 5.5L of oil or roughly 6 quarts.

View of Combustion's oil filter and the Volvo skid plate
http://www.v70xc.com/pics/g2g_vancouver_072602/coastal/03.jpg

rixc70
10-16-2003, 08:10 AM
Thanks Art,  I plan on changing it soon and going to synthetic.

Best regards!

tgrumaj
02-25-2004, 06:53 AM
You need to add a new category:
I go to my independent local Volvo mechanic.  He does all my work including oil changes.

Chipshot
02-25-2004, 11:04 AM
Not to be difficult, but I couldn't find an answer that suited me.  My oil changes are done by the company garage.

ltoolio
02-25-2004, 12:26 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (budrichard @ July 04 2003,18:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Kerstie, in your owners manual is a chart of which oil specification to use based on the range of outside temperatures to be encountered. 5W30 is for a max of 87F. 10W30 is for higher temperatures. -Dick[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I read that too in the manual.

Living in Chicago (as you can attest, Dick), we get a pretty wide range of temperatures.

From Below 0F in the winter to over 100F in the summer. &nbsp;So, according to the manual, I should be using 10W30?

I&#39;m not a meterologist (far from it), but I would think that a fairly large percentage of Volvo drivers would hit 87F during the summer, eh?

Sasquatch
06-29-2005, 01:28 PM
Your poll only shows one choice.

I'd like to see one which also asked about spark plugs, air filters, a/c refrigerant, ...

llabarbe
07-27-2005, 06:26 AM
I am just going to straight out show my ignorance by asking -
can someone settle this argument for me, I've always been told to change my oil every 3k miles. Now owning my XC90 (first brand new car I've owned!) I get it done at 7, 15, etc? My friend is arguing with me that it can't be possible to do that and you have to get it done every 3k, my response is that you don't have to because the car uses synthetic oil..she responded by saying all cars use synthetic oil..what's the scoop?

BillAileo
07-27-2005, 06:37 AM
If you are having the changes done by Volvo under the included maintenance, you will not be getting synthetic oil unless you bring it or pay for it. The Volvo recommended change intervals apply to regular dino oil.

I personally would not wait for 7.5 k intervals using regular oil for changes if I were planning on keeping the car a long time , but I'd be comfortable with it using full synthetic (by the way there are also blended oils which are part dino and part synthetic).

You'll have no trouble finding varying views on oil changes.

Bill

KILOFINAL
07-27-2005, 08:51 AM
I have leased my 05 XC70, but will only use full synthetic oil and 91 Octane fuel. We do not get free scheduled maintenance in Canada. I plan to get the oil changed every 5-6000 KM. I think it is important to keep in mind that even though you may extend the change interval based on synthetic, I would not feel comfortable extending the longer interval of the oil filter.