PDA

View Full Version : P0422 rear o2 spacer?

vova
01-30-2014, 02:02 PM
My 01V70xc 172K was intermittently throwing the CEL P0422. Every 100-200miles it was on/off.
I tried to clean MAF-nothing
Replaced rear O2(Bosch OEM)-nothing
Tune up(spark plugs, filters, gas cap..)-nothing.
Today i was able to put my car on a "smoke" machine with the hopes that i will be able to find the vacuum or exhaust leak but to my big surprise there were none.
We tried the trick with infrared thermometer and it was showing that after catalytic temperatures were higher(as it suppose to be)
We later connected the car to the diagnostic and run MAF, O2 upstream, O2 downstream data back to back.
As a result i was able to find that rear O2 was not working in the parameters. Voltage was fluctuating.(not staying in 0.45-0.55 volt range)
From were i draw a conclusion that Catalytic itself is responsible for a CEL.
My question. I heard a lot of people were using racing catalytic converters with an addition of rear O2 spacer which helped them avoid CEL. I do not want to remove my catalytic(it still works, not as great as it should, but works), I do not want to buy new one($950 is a lot of money).
Had anyone tried to add rear O2 spacer to the OEM converter? If yes where you bought it from and what style you used? Length of the spacer? Pictures installed?

hoonk
01-30-2014, 03:30 PM
One of my used parts suppliers has done this to his personal cars - purchased a long (not the short one) spark plug extender from autozone (with the correct thread), drills it out slightly so the o2 sensor will fit - and that has kept his cat code from coming back on several different Volvos.