PDA

View Full Version : replacing both lowwer control arm necessary 2008 Volvo XC70

Anjibee
01-28-2014, 04:04 PM
I have a Volvo XC70 and got in an accident. luckily no cosmetic damage is done to the lovely ride except the left side lower control arm got broken.

Very rare car in my region so am left with no option than to import a replacement. I contacted a parts store in Illinois and i get the response that i have to change both arms . As this is a car i hardly use and before the accident all was in good conditions I am wondering why I have to buy a right side control arm if there is nothing absolutely wrong with it. If my need to replace the left one is because it went bad due to wear and tear from use, I understand it might be wise to change the other as well, but this isn't the case.

Please has anyone had a similar situation and can give me a benefit of their experience on this. The excuse I get from calling the store has to do with. Volvo designing their cars in such a way that both always have to be changed at the same time. It makes no sense to me.

Anjibee
01-28-2014, 10:39 PM
I have a Volvo XC70 and got in an accident. luckily no cosmetic damage is done to the lovely ride except the left side lower control arm got broken.

Very rare car in my region so am left with no option than to import a replacement. I contacted a parts store in Illinois and i get the response that i have to change both arms . As this is a car i hardly use and before the accident all was in good conditions I am wondering why I have to buy a right side control arm if there is nothing absolutely wrong with it. If my need to replace the left one is because it went bad due to wear and tear from use, I understand it might be wise to change the other as well, but this isn't the case.

Please has anyone had a similar situation and can give me a benefit of their experience on this. The excuse I get from calling the store has to do with. Volvo designing their cars in su
ch a way that both always have to be changed at the same time. It makes no sense to me.

I'd appreciate some advice on this pls

ssicarman
01-29-2014, 07:33 PM
It's all up to you.
There are all kinds of place on the internet that sell Volvo parts. Some are dealers and some are non dealers. They will sell you what you want to buy. The dealer that you talked to may have a policy of only selling in pairs or the parts catalogue may state in it that the controls arms are to be sold in pairs. Try different places.