PDA

View Full Version : Name That Part

nat
01-25-2014, 12:48 AM
Hi, long time reader first time poster. I was hoping someone might be able to tell me what this part is. I have an Australian delivered 2005 XC90 2.5T which has just started making a high pitched whine which appears to be coming from this part. This part also appears to be generating a lot of heat. Any help is greatly appreciated.

nat
01-25-2014, 03:19 AM
had time to do a bit of searching and it appears that this is the vacuum pump. It starts running as soon as the ignition is turned on and still makes a rather loud horrible noise. off to our trusted Volvo mechanic on Tuesday to see what the deal is. does anyone know if it has to be replaced with a genuine Volvo one or will the Hella ones fit?

hoonk
01-26-2014, 09:32 AM
The pump should only run when the vacuum is low in the booster. The most common reason it runs all the time is the plastic vacuum pump switch breaks. Located in front of the air filter on xc70's, s60's, but cant remember where it is on an xc90. Just follow the vacuum hoses and you may find the top broken off the vacuum pump switch.

nat
02-03-2014, 04:53 AM
Thanks for your reply hoonk. Turns out the pump had to be replaced. They are mighty expensive too.