PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Volvo xc90 blowing exhaust cam seals???

Hotwheelsguy
01-23-2014, 05:52 PM
Hello everyone hope all is well. I need some help with this one I had this car of question come in with a oil leak. Upon inspection the oil was leaking out of exhaust cam seal. So I replaced the seal and replaced timing belt and water pump while I was there. I also replaced the PVC trap and couple hoses under intake.
The problem is it now keeps blowing the seal out completly. It will idle all day long but if you drive it it will blow again. Yes they are Volvo seals etc.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advanced

hoonk
01-24-2014, 06:18 AM
Measure the pressure in the crankcase to be sure your PCV system is clear and operating properly - a simple test with a pressure gauge on the dipstick tube. I would suspect too much pressure is causing the seal to pop out.

Rear or front seal?

Hotwheelsguy
01-28-2014, 07:13 PM
Well I wasn't 100 percent sure so we removed intake again and double check all passages for PCv they are clear. The seal that keeps blowing out is the exhaust seal on the belt side. It can idle all day long with no issues. But as. Soon as you drive it it will blow out.... So i took for drive with dipstick out to vent and it still blew out? Any thoughts?

hoonk
01-29-2014, 09:28 AM
If the exhaust cam has variable timing - try unplugging the solenoid to prevent oil pressure being sent to the cam pulley - and see what happens. Has the head ever been off? I've seen damaged heads from improper removal of the cams. (not letting the cams come straight up when removing) But I have not researched if that would send oil pressure behind the cam seal and force it out.

cbv1
01-30-2014, 08:59 PM
first thing you need to do is to check the pressure at the oil dipstick tube,actually should be vacuum...you need a special gauge to do this,even if you replaced the pcv housing you could still have the passages in the block plugged up....I have seen the passages between the pcv housing and oil pan tends to plug up but never have seen the cam seal blowing out due to this...

mge_1
06-27-2015, 07:38 PM
Here's our WTF moment...
http://i.imgur.com/tK3uFTy.jpg

Brought it to a mechanic friend and with another help from a Volvo master tech, it was the exhaust cam seal leaking. Check out the PCV oil catch or trap canister lol...(had to be the culprit blowing up the seals) It was a hard 175,000 miles for sure lol.
Currently in surgery getting new cam seals (all 4), timing belt, water pump, serpentine belt, entire pcv system and an oil change. Hopefully we get her back in the next day or two and my pockets will be empty lol.
http://i.imgur.com/HGsyEac.jpg