PDA

View Full Version : XC90 2006 Brake failure, stop safely, speedo/rpm go to zero and trip show: "--------"

Balraek
01-22-2014, 11:32 AM
Has anyone seen this problem before? What was the sollution?
The problem is intermittent, and when it happens, my AWD also stops working.
I just had a period where the car worked perktly, but now it is back.

hoonk
01-22-2014, 03:52 PM
Sometimes the speedo stops working because the brake control module (antilock braking computer under the abs unit) does not send the vehicle speed (from the abs sensors) to the drivers information module. (speedo)

A Vida scan would be a good first step, and you might be able to use the timeline function (if it works on a 2006, sorry can't remember) to view problems in the past

colin5524
02-03-2014, 04:49 PM
Had a similair problem check your CEM, I had some water ingress and corrosion, removed CEM cleaned with bicarbonate soda and water paste, hairdryer some oil and a toothbrush. Put it back in and has been fine

Balraek
02-06-2014, 02:29 PM
Problem is DEM. I will ship it to Innosund in Sweeden for repair, hopefully that will do the trick.

For others with the same problem: try removing the fuse for AOC in the aft fuse box. If your "stop safely light", brake failure and speedometer issues goes away, than it is probably your DEM that is the problem.

gts2811
03-11-2014, 11:46 AM
Problem is DEM. I will ship it to Innosund in Sweeden for repair, hopefully that will do the trick.

For others with the same problem: try removing the fuse for AOC in the aft fuse box. If your "stop safely light", brake failure and speedometer issues goes away, than it is probably your DEM that is the problem.

I had this exact problem and my xc went into safe mode. Took the car to volvo and they said faulty DEM £1600 please. So I took the dem off and sent it to bba-reman who done all their test and said my dem is fine. Glad I just saved 1600 notes.
So im now at the problem of trying to eliminate the faulty part, my next guess has to be the sensor housed behind the dem as I've heard this is common to fail.
£125 for the sensor I'll let you know if this works.

ps if anyone has any other suggestions, please share.

Balraek
04-30-2014, 08:22 AM
Innosund in Sweden (I live in Norway) repaired the DEM and this problem together with many others all went away.

Cost for repair was 2400 NOK. Saved 15 000 NOK, that is equal to $ 2518 (for the part only - I dont know what the labour would have been, but a new DEM has to be programmed into the car so probably another $200).

Balraek
04-30-2014, 08:25 AM
I had this exact problem and my xc went into safe mode. Took the car to volvo and they said faulty DEM £1600 please. So I took the dem off and sent it to bba-reman who done all their test and said my dem is fine. Glad I just saved 1600 notes.
So im now at the problem of trying to eliminate the faulty part, my next guess has to be the sensor housed behind the dem as I've heard this is common to fail.
£125 for the sensor I'll let you know if this works.

ps if anyone has any other suggestions, please share.

What happens if you disconnect the wires from the DEM and start (Alternative pull the fuse for the AWD in the aft fuse box)? If the limp mode and speedometer issues go away, it is probably the DEM after all.