PDA

View Full Version : Replace valve body with 225,000 + ?

olevolvo
01-16-2014, 07:49 PM
Here's one for the experts; I've got the gear box nearly out to change the ring gear. Shifts are pretty good, except for the down shift / coast / grab . ( I let it catch up and then resume). Fluid isn't burn't .

I lack the judgment of replacing the valve body or not. If I put it back together I can always do it in the future, the way Astro shows in resources I suppose. I welcome qualified opinions.

olevolvo
01-17-2014, 08:41 AM
JRL, Howard, Astro, your opinions are valued.

howardc64
01-17-2014, 09:57 AM
Valve body rebuild is about $500 at reamman.com and it will be fairly easy to removal and reinstall with the tranny out.

Whether to spend this money or not is a tough call. At 225k, Will it fix your problem? Will other parts of the tranny last longer? Probably a gamble. Just thought I note the gamble cost $500 :)

men2be
01-17-2014, 11:49 AM
Howard, hello! Is this the best place to get a good valve body? I stopped at an excellent tranny shop that has been in the business for more than 50 years and he said he will not use a reman. Said most only replace what is bad and not a complete overhaul with all new parts. Your thoughts are appreciated.

olevolvo
01-17-2014, 12:23 PM
Gear box off setting on floor. Flywheel sensor caked with metal. I'm sure this is what was behind the rough start and idle. Most teeth are worn except for the ones that got knocked off completely. Ready to reassemble.

Astro14
01-17-2014, 05:53 PM
Geez....225,000 miles? I don't have an opinion on this...so many variables...

Personally, I would consider either leaving it alone, or just have the whole thing rebuilt: you've done the hard work, bet you could get it done reasonably, and then reinstall. Is the rest of the car still good? Body clean? Interior nice? Suspension tight? It's got to be worth keeping before I would spend any more on it...

JRL
01-17-2014, 06:20 PM
You should not so something half-assed at 225K miles. A LOT more is worn out than just the VB
Either rebuild it right or do nothing

olevolvo
01-17-2014, 08:56 PM
Thank you all very much. Body is o.k. suspension shouldn't be good but is still tight. Interior is fair. Engine has good power but probably ready for a pvc cleaning, due for a timing belt. You guys know these cars, many parts can go. Thanks again.

howardc64
01-18-2014, 02:52 PM
Howard, hello! Is this the best place to get a good valve body? I stopped at an excellent tranny shop that has been in the business for more than 50 years and he said he will not use a reman. Said most only replace what is bad and not a complete overhaul with all new parts. Your thoughts are appreciated.

I've not used them. But I've seen cattlecar's posts indicating he used them several times with success. cattlecar seems to be a tech but I don't know for sure. You might IM him to get a run down.

level10 is probably the most well know high quality online rebuilder. Probably cost more.

olevolvo
01-23-2014, 09:28 PM
Done!! I doubt if anyone wants details. I'm surprised that I could remember where the bolts went to but I did. I see that my lower torque mount is ate up. I think I'm more qualified to do repairs after this. Fired right up. goes through gears. Looks like it's toe in on the drivers side, but that might be the low tire. Thanks for the advice and the support!

billr99
01-24-2014, 07:10 AM
Done!! I doubt if anyone wants details. I'm surprised that I could remember where the bolts went to but I did. I see that my lower torque mount is ate up. I think I'm more qualified to do repairs after this. Fired right up. goes through gears. Looks like it's toe in on the drivers side, but that might be the low tire. Thanks for the advice and the support!

So you replaced the valve body? Can you give us some details such as source of parts, costs, results, etc.

Thanks,

Bill

olevolvo
01-24-2014, 08:15 AM
I did not replace the valve body. Base on the valued and qualified opinions, I decided not to. Astro has an instructional in "how to" that does a nice job. I used his pictures to reassemble my linkage. There is a place here in Michigan that has units for around $500.00. Reman.