PDA

View Full Version : trade my xc 70 for a xc 90?

Brown Dog
01-13-2014, 10:43 PM
Hey everyone, I am looking at a 2004 XC90 and will be trading in my 2001 XC70 towards this vehicle. My question is their any known issues that you almost always have to deal with on these cars? My XC70 has the wacky trans shift when hot and sometimes when not and all kinds of other little ailments that seem to be very common. Is their some of the same for the XC90? I am in particular curious about the transmission. Is it the same AW55-50 that is in the XC70? I have done a lot of work on my XC and am wanting to get something that is in better shape. My XC70 has 160,000 miles now and this XC90 is at 131,000. I can't decide if its a worth while trade. The Volvo dealer says they have done all the maintenance like fluid flushes and gear box oils.

Appreciate any advice.

hoonk
01-14-2014, 07:39 AM
XC90 with the t5 engine is the same basic drivetrain as the XC70. Throttle module is changed to a reliable bosch product and transmission was upgraded to rarely have problems instead of always on the 2001.

XC90 t5's can be 2 wheel drive also -

If the XC90 has a t6 engine - the general motors transmission that is used with that engine is a known failure point -

Brown Dog
01-14-2014, 11:02 AM
Hey, my xc70 is a T5 and has had the etm replaced once already, it's good to hear that part has been revised. The xc90 I'm considering is a T6 model. They are asking 10,500 for it with 131,000 miles and if it's possible it will have some major transmission problems like my current xc I'm going to pass on this one. The dealer assures me they went through the vehicle and it passed all checks. I have to say it is a very clean xc90 for the age and miles.

huzzsaba
01-14-2014, 01:48 PM
Hey, my xc70 is a T5 and has had the etm replaced once already, it's good to hear that part has been revised. The xc90 I'm considering is a T6 model. They are asking 10,500 for it with 131,000 miles and if it's possible it will have some major transmission problems like my current xc I'm going to pass on this one. The dealer assures me they went through the vehicle and it passed all checks. I have to say it is a very clean xc90 for the age and miles.

If you are looking at a T6, then I wouldn't do it, and most will tell you the same thing unless you want to be replacing the transmission every 2 years or so.
Go for a 2004 xc90 2.5t and you should be fine as long as it was maintained.

Plus 10,500 for a t6 with 130k miles sounds high to me.

Brown Dog
01-14-2014, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the replys, I am going to go test drive it tomorrow and I'll see how it shifts. I am on the fence on this one. My car needs a good bit of work right now and I feel it is time to part ways, but I could do the repairs. It's a gamble on fixing my car or getting the new one. For what its worth my car has the original transmission with 160,00 miles on it, some people said it would have died by now, I think it can go a little while longer but it is a gamble. This XC90 also seems to have the original transmission from what the service records show. Maybe it's a good one as it has lasted this long. But please give all the advice you want to I am listening, this is a lot of money for me and I don't want to make a bad decision.

huzzsaba
01-14-2014, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the replys, I am going to go test drive it tomorrow and I'll see how it shifts. I am on the fence on this one. My car needs a good bit of work right now and I feel it is time to part ways, but I could do the repairs. It's a gamble on fixing my car or getting the new one. For what its worth my car has the original transmission with 160,00 miles on it, some people said it would have died by now, I think it can go a little while longer but it is a gamble. This XC90 also seems to have the original transmission from what the service records show. Maybe it's a good one as it has lasted this long. But please give all the advice you want to I am listening, this is a lot of money for me and I don't want to make a bad decision.

I would be prudent and strongly recommend you find a 2.5t xc90. In the long run, its a better vehicle than both the T6 and your xc70. The T6 would probably be a good choice if it didn't have that many transmission problem as it is more powerful. I went through the same dilemma when I was searching for mine. I found many T6 for sale and figured its because people no longer wanted to deal with the costly repairs of transmission and wanted to get rid of them. On the other hand, the 2.5t were very few for sale and The reason is that many people hold onto the 2.5t because of the reliability.

The choice is yours. BTW, which city do you live in? I'm Wondering because the price of the T6 seems high.

JRL
01-14-2014, 06:20 PM
DO NOT BUY A XC90 T6 PERIOD
If it's a 5 cyl then it should be fine

huzzsaba
01-14-2014, 08:21 PM
Just did a quick search on craigslist. Not knowing which state you're in, I searched in GA since its in the southeast. Found quite a few 2.5t xc90 with relatively low miles for 7K or around that price.

Brown Dog
01-14-2014, 08:29 PM
Thanks huzzsaba and JRL, I'm in NC. My car needs a lot of work and I don't really want to spend any more money on it. Just two weeks ago the MAP sensor went out and that was $90, but at least it was easy enough to get to. I put in new plugs and cleaned the ETM while I was at it. Sure does run better now :>).
I need a dealer so I can trade in my car towards the new one, I really don't want to try and sell my car through craigslist or anything like that, tire kickers are the worst and Ive met plenty of them over the years. Theirs another Volvo dealer in Greensboro I'll check out here in a little while.

JRL
01-14-2014, 09:41 PM
I'll get you a good XC90, there are plenty available around here, but I won't give you very much on trade on a high mileage 01 with issues and you would have to drive to PA to get it.
However, I can save you a decent chunk of dinero AND make sure you get a very decent XC90
If interested email me
(in signature)