PDA

View Full Version : Tailgate trouble??

charlie8
01-04-2014, 12:38 PM
Hi Friends,
The tailgate on my 2005 XC70 won't open. I can try the door lock/unlock and the remote but it will not unlock. I can hear the ?actuator making what sounds like the regular sound under the handle, and if I put my fingers on the handle/latch while trying to unlock it I can feel the handle move very slightly (like some part that's supposed to move is touching it). This happened before and after a while and not really doing anything it began working again. I need to get it open now and it has acted up again??
Is there any kind of backup release latch from the inside to release the tailgate for now until I get this figured out??
Any ideas on what might be causing this??
Thanks

perkinscl
01-04-2014, 01:19 PM
Mine does this from time to time too. I found that it's the carpet mat in the back. If it slides towards the tailgate, it will close then not want to re-open. What I have to do, is push the tailgate towards the front of the car while squeezing the latch. It feels different, i.e. normal and it opens. Then I slide the carpet back where it should be.

Willy
01-05-2014, 05:50 AM
Yes, the carpet can cause trouble and the tip given above will most probably work if the carpet is indeed the problem.
It happend to me once that the tailgate wouldn't even close, but unfortunately the cargo area was fully
loaded and the carpet wouldn't slide forward anymore. Unloading everything was the only solution :(
Since then I really pay attention that the carpet is completely forward against the backrest of the
rear seats before I start loading anything substantial.
Willy

swimNdrive
01-05-2014, 09:14 AM
Is there any kind of backup release latch from the inside to release the tailgate for now until I get this figured out??

There is no backup release that I know unless you have the third seat option.

In case you really stuck, you can try to release the lock by partially open the gate panel from inside. (Warning, this should be the last thing you try because you could make some damages to the plastic panel or the rivets)

The plastic panel is secured by four screws and eight plastic rivets. You will not be able to access the two screws on the bottom while the gate is down and locked, so the best you can do is to partially open the panel by removing the two screws on each side. Then try gently open the plastic panel from the top edge right below the tailgate glass. You won't be able to open it too far, because, the eight plastic rivets inside holding onto the panel, so it will be better that you can fine some kind of long plastic tool to reach them. You will need to pope open at the least six upper rivets. During the whole process, you may not be able to see inside. Once you create a small room, you can try to reach a steel stick in the lower middle, there is an opening there. Push down that steel stick, you should be able to release the lock.

Attached are some pictures so you can see what's inside of the panel and plan a head. The green circle is the steel stick you want to be able get hold of and push it straight down. It is important that you can get hold of some long tools.

charlie8
01-05-2014, 11:34 AM
Hi Friends! Thanks for the help! It appears that it was the carpet causing the problem. I managed to get rear hatch open by pushing the door in quite firm while lightly pulling on the release handle. This got it open for me so I could push the carpet ahead. It seems to be fine now!! Thanks again. Ed