PDA

View Full Version : Best repair/service manual

northorn
12-23-2013, 10:55 AM
What's the consensus about the best repair/service manual for my 2003 XC? Does the Haynes V70 cover the XC? Has anyone had experience with Chilton's online subscription service? What is VADIS? My apologies if this is all in FAQ somewhere; I'm new to the Volvo world.

guyeye
12-24-2013, 08:26 AM
Vadis is the electronic service manual that installs on your Windows XP or Windows 7 laptop (or Mac with a windows partition), and interfaces with the Volvo specific "Dice" (or Chinese Dice clone) OBD2 interface. Vadis is actually the old version. The new version of the software is called "Vida". You will often hear Vida-Dice together as the Vida software and Dice interface unit work together to diagnose, troubleshoot, reset and run tests on various system on your vehicle, as well as giving step by step instructions (with photos & diagrams) for repair procedures. Vida can be used independently as an electronic shop manual. Many people still use the old term "Vadis", but "Vida" is what you want. It's what they use at dealerships and Volvo Indy shops as shop manuals. The Chilton/Haynes manuals (if you can find them) are not very comprehensive.
The genuine Volvo Vida-Dice package can cost many thousands, but are intended for dealerships and large Indy shops. You can obtain a Chinese clone with a copy of the Vida software for just north of $100 from many places. I got mine from Aliexpress.com and it works very well. I can't attest to others, but I have heard (on this forum) of "bad" ones from other vendors. There are 2 major differences between the genuine and clone version of Vida-Dice. The genuine unit will operate via Bluetooth, wirelessly. It will also download and update current software from Volvo (with a pricey subscription) straight to your ECM (though, in theory, you should be able to do this with a clone, I don't know that I would trust it). The clone only runs directly connected to your OBD2 outlet and you spoof the software using a fake username and password (provided) to access the software without it needing to communicate with Volvo.
If you are familiar with using BitTorrent, you can download a current version of Vida that you can use on any Windows Xp or 7 computer, without the Dice unit, as a shop manual.

Vida-Dice really is the only way to go (as far as I know) if you want a comprehensive shop manual with powerful, Volvo specific diagnostic capabilities.

guyeye
12-24-2013, 08:27 AM
BTW- Welcome to the Volvo world!

billr99
12-24-2013, 10:46 AM
What's the consensus about the best repair/service manual for my 2003 XC? Does the Haynes V70 cover the XC? Has anyone had experience with Chilton's online subscription service? What is VADIS? My apologies if this is all in FAQ somewhere; I'm new to the Volvo world.

Don't bother with the Haynes for this one. After having Haynes manuals since the early 70's (my first one was for an MGA, vinyl cover and all), the current S80/V70 Haynes is the worst one. Tells you only the minimum usually. Your time, effort and money, will be better spent getting a working copy of VIDA going. Even if you don't get a DiCE so you can hook it up to the car, the basic VIDA, with parts book and repair instructions, is the only way to go on this car.

Welcome aboard.

Cheers,

Bill

northorn
12-24-2013, 01:10 PM
Thanks to both of you! I'll take your advice, and look into VIDA. I'm anxious to get some repair options; no problems with my new(used) vehicle so far, but I don't expect it to be quite as bulletproof as the Honda Pilot it's replacing. Plus, the local Volvo dealer has an incredibly bad reputation. The XCs are, as you might imagine, very popular up here in Alaska, and the dealer loves to take advantage of owners who know little about cars. Most people that I know with the XC have already had their transmissions replaced.

guyeye
12-24-2013, 03:15 PM
If nothing else, it's fun to use to adjust the user parameters (seat temeratures, headlight behaviors, etc.), check out the efficiency of all your systems and run diagnostic tests. Way more in depth than just pulling codes. It really is a must have if you're a DIYer. It drastically reduces the guesswork and "throwing parts at the problem" game.
There is much written about it if you search this forum.

Instigator
11-10-2014, 12:32 PM
this answered my question... I'm a new V70 Cross Country owner, well, new to me as it is a 2001 model year car...

will a 2001 V70 "vida" be what i search for or is there a separate one for the Cross Country model?

also, where do i get this "dice" that you mention? and is it Apple Mac compatible?

thanks!

Don't bother with the Haynes for this one. After having Haynes manuals since the early 70's (my first one was for an MGA, vinyl cover and all), the current S80/V70 Haynes is the worst one. Tells you only the minimum usually. Your time, effort and money, will be better spent getting a working copy of VIDA going. Even if you don't get a DiCE so you can hook it up to the car, the basic VIDA, with parts book and repair instructions, is the only way to go on this car.

Welcome aboard.

Cheers,

Bill

EJones
04-26-2015, 04:24 PM
Would like to ask a stupid question. Previous XC70 owner (2002) - just traded it in on a 2012 XC60. Have been searching for a good service manual, but not coming up with anything, so I'm looking at the VIDA / Dice option. Want to thank Guyeye for his advice - very helpful. The question: Is VIDA / Dice year specific? In looking at Vida / Dice on Aliexpres.com, I see a 2015 version. Does the 2015 version cover the 2012 model year?

Also - just want to confirm - this software runs on Windows OS only - not on Mac, correct?

Do you get a full shop manual in the SW? I use Macs at home - but can't see having a car without a service manual (I am a DIY type person) - so I'm good buying the software (and a cheap laptop to to run it) if it covers my needs.

Thanks in advance for the guidance.

billr99
04-27-2015, 04:26 AM
Would like to ask a stupid question. Previous XC70 owner (2002) - just traded it in on a 2012 XC60. Have been searching for a good service manual, but not coming up with anything, so I'm looking at the VIDA / Dice option. Want to thank Guyeye for his advice - very helpful. The question: Is VIDA / Dice year specific? In looking at Vida / Dice on Aliexpres.com, I see a 2015 version. Does the 2015 version cover the 2012 model year?

Also - just want to confirm - this software runs on Windows OS only - not on Mac, correct?

Do you get a full shop manual in the SW? I use Macs at home - but can't see having a car without a service manual (I am a DIY type person) - so I'm good buying the software (and a cheap laptop to to run it) if it covers my needs.

Thanks in advance for the guidance.

All your questions are answered in detail herein just search appropriately for what you are looking for. In regard to version, whatever date the VIDA has is inclusive of that model year. That is, VIDA2012A covers up to and includes 2012. The letter designation is just revisions for that particular version.

VIDA is really the only way to go as far as repair procedures are concerned and it is the full factory manual and parts book.

Have fun,

Bill

ncxc
04-27-2015, 07:30 AM
I know that most people on here have done the aliexpress.com vida/dice combo but is there a way or is it cheaper to just buy the dice portion? I should be able to get my own copy of vida but if it's just as cheap/easy to buy the whole kit together that that's the route I will take. Thanks and hope this adds to this post!

ssicarman
04-27-2015, 07:44 PM
I know that most people on here have done the aliexpress.com vida/dice combo but is there a way or is it cheaper to just buy the dice portion? I should be able to get my own copy of vida but if it's just as cheap/easy to buy the whole kit together that that's the route I will take. Thanks and hope this adds to this post!

Vida is the software that you load onto a computer.
Dice is the module that you connect to the car.

You can run the Vida software on a computer and look at the parts catalog, the service information to repair cars and technical bulletins/recalls. You don't need the Dice for this.
If you want to check for trouble codes etc in the car systems you need Vida and Dice.

mdmuddin
05-15-2015, 04:14 PM
Hi,
Thanks for all the info.
Using the Vida and Dice, can you clear the error messages that come up after you've sorted the problem or checked that it's a false alarm?
Also, can anyone post a link to a clone copy that they have bought and are happy with?

Thanks

The Landshark
05-16-2015, 03:53 PM
This is the one i bought http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ship-From-UK-Volvo-Vida-Dice-2014D-Volvo-Diagnostic-Tool-With-Multi-Language-/141639144327?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item20fa59d387

It has paid for itself a few times over already in diagnosing a failed aoc pump, and running down the cause of a false alarm trigger.
It was also a big help when it came to ordering some parts. Its a lot easier to find parts on the net when you have the manufacturers part number.
Also the level of information and access it gives to the vehicles systems are fantastic.
I downloaded a vm ware image file from and am running vida on a windows 8.1 laptop with the vmware windows xp professional virtual machine.
Vida is really fussy about the software it runs on

mdmuddin
05-17-2015, 08:13 AM
Thanks, excellent. Look forward to getting my hands on one. Does the VIDA system give you torque specifications for various bolts and fasteners?
Haynes doesn't have it so where else could I find it; for example, the water-pump and power-steering-pump fasteners.

mdmuddin
05-17-2015, 08:14 AM
Thanks, excellent. Look forward to getting my hands on one. Does the VIDA system give you torque specifications for various bolts and fasteners?
Haynes doesn't have it so where else could I find it; for example, the water-pump and power-steering-pump fasteners?

The Landshark
05-17-2015, 11:58 AM
Just to give you an idea, i've copied and pasted the text below from vida, directions to replace the pump on mine.
theres a bunch of drawings with it and the text contains links to other sections, eg: removing the timing belt appears as text below but is a link on vida to the appropriate section.

262: Coolant pump and thermostat, D5244T4
Print

Replacing the coolant pump
Preparatory work
Draining coolant

Remove the cap from the expansion tank.
Raise the vehicle.
Remove the lower engine guard.

Fit a hose onto the drain cock.
Open the cock and drain the coolant into a clean receptacle.
Install the lower engine cover.
Lower the vehicle.
Removal
Removing the coolant pump

Prepare the vehicle. See Replacing the timing belt .
Remove the screws.
Tap the pump wheel with the shaft of a hammer and remove the pump.
Clean the gasket faces thoroughly.
Installation
Installing the coolant pump

Install:
a new gasket
a new pump.
Tighten the screws crosswise. Tighten to 16 Nm.
Restore the vehicle. See Replacing the timing belt .
Function test
Run the engine at fast idle speed until the thermostat opens.
Ensure that the heater control in the passenger compartment is at the maximum position.
Check the engine for leaks.
Top up the coolant if necessary.

mdmuddin
05-17-2015, 12:03 PM
Excellent. Thanks a lot for taking time out to do that. Doesn't this forum have a "thank" function where I can thank the poster without having to spam the thread?

billr99
05-17-2015, 02:03 PM
Haynes doesn't have it so where else could I find it; for example, the water-pump and power-steering-pump fasteners?

Yep, Each repair procedure has a link to a page called "Tightening Torque Specifications" and they are all there as well as some general settings for fasteners of given sizes. VIDA is the factory repair manual as there is no available paper manual available.

Cheers,

Bill

Willy
05-18-2015, 04:48 AM
Excellent. Thanks a lot for taking time out to do that. Doesn't this forum have a "thank" function where I can thank the poster without having to spam the thread?
You can always send a private message (click on the member's user name, although I don't
think that thanking someone "publicly" is concidered to be spam, at least not on this forum :)
Willy

mdmuddin
05-18-2015, 05:08 AM
Well, thanks to you all then. (WIlly, billr99 and The Landshark in particular).
Just bought myself a 2005 XC70.
After purchase, I've discovered the 6-speed auto tranny will need an oil change, the Anti-Skid service warning is coming on intermittently and the driver's seat isn't heating up. However, I am very happy with the car overall and looking forward to having a go at foxing the faults with the help of VIDA and the helpful members of this forum.

JRL
05-18-2015, 06:57 AM
You have a 5 speed not a 6 speed

mdmuddin
05-18-2015, 07:19 AM
I've double checked, it's a six-speed. In the UK, they began doing 6-speed autos from 2005.