PDA

View Full Version : Scanner Recommendation for XC70

XCNiska
12-20-2013, 11:30 AM
Apologize for this newbie question.

On my '00 911, I use a Durametric cable and S/W to scan the car ECUs, which is an excellent substitute for Porsche's PIWI II that dealers use.
What would you recommend or what are you using for your XC70s or Volvo in general?
My Volvo had been extremely reliable up to now but now that it is 8 yrs old and with this latest fuel pump issue, I realize I might have to invest in a scan tool that your folks would recommend.

Sorry for freeloading on your collective experience.
Martin

Antherzoll
12-20-2013, 11:55 AM
I have the IPD Softloader and can read the car thru the OBDII, came with my Stage 1 software and works well. I'm not sure of a generic code reader, but I have heard that you need to find one that can read volvo specific codes. Do some more indepth searching and I'm sure you'll find something.

guyeye
12-20-2013, 12:15 PM
you MUST have the Volvo Dice tool with the Vida software to read the Volvo specific codes. An ACTUAL dice tool is un-affordable and is really just for dealers and Volvo indy shops. You can get a Chinese clone for a little over $100. There are good and bad ones, from what I've heard. I've had really good luck with my unit from Aliexpress.com.
You must also have a laptop running windows. My Macbook Pro with a Windows XP partition works flawlessly.
There are MANY threads here dealing with this.
TLDR: Vida-Dice

XCNiska
12-20-2013, 03:32 PM
Thanks guys! Much appreciated! I'll start my search from your inputs. Merry Christmas!

nickbw
12-23-2013, 05:07 PM
Otherwise, and quite cheap, just get an Android phone with blutooth ELM and torque pro app: almost all you ned and cheaper than Volvo DiCE (clone) alternative!

guyeye
12-24-2013, 07:18 AM
Really? The Dice unit (clone) I have is pretty fantastic for around 1 c-note. Will Torque Pro read those Volvo specific codes? Will it give failure rate percentages as well? Will it do diagnostic tests (ie-ETM position test, etc.)? Will it reset your TCM adaptations? Can it set user parameters?
-I ask because we're iPhonies, and I'm trying to build a case for switching to Android.

coflynn
12-24-2013, 08:21 AM
Really? The Dice unit (clone) I have is pretty fantastic for around 1 c-note. Will Torque Pro read those Volvo specific codes? Will it give failure rate percentages as well? Will it do diagnostic tests (ie-ETM position test, etc.)? Will it reset your TCM adaptations? Can it set user parameters?
-I ask because we're iPhonies, and I'm trying to build a case for switching to Android.

It definitely will not! Everyone who hasn't used VIDA/DiCE is wasting their time IMHO. As not only do you get all the codes etc, you get the full real service manual. There's a VMWare image linked somewhere on this site if you want which is MUCH easier for installing/setting up.

Plus you can read sensor values directly & command certain positions of things (e.g. turn on/off transmission solenoids).... it's a HUGE asset if you are doing real troubleshooting.

It's a little bit of effort to set up the entire system, but it's one of the most useful tools you'll have

guyeye
12-24-2013, 08:29 AM
Yeah- thought so.