PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Mount Housing & Parking Brake Repair

coastal
12-12-2013, 09:03 PM
Heya guys,

Was a block away from home the other day and experienced what felt like I just drove over a 2x4. Stopped right away, saw nothing and kept on my way home.

Convinced there was something wrong, we pulled the rear wheel apart and after digging a little deeper, pulled off the rotor to find that the end support for the parking brake (part of the wheel mount) had sheared completely off, taking with it a few of the other parking brake parts along with it.

Did some research, and in addition to finding out that the wheel mount is a dang spendy part, discovered this Skandix repair part for just this very problem.
http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts/brakes/handbrake/repair-kit-hand-brake-cable-bracket-counter-bearing-handbrake-shoe/1021835/

Wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem before, whether or not they've had success with this repair part, or if there are some better options.

See attached pic of the carnage..

I'm all ears... Cheers!

ssicarman
12-12-2013, 10:23 PM
Never seen or done this before. If they sell a repair kit then it will certainly be easier and cheaper than replacing the complete mount. With a repair kit out for it it would seem that it is a common enough problem. It looks like a nice easy fix.

Astro14
12-13-2013, 05:06 AM
From the damage in the picture, it looks like just the dust shield and the parking brake mount were damaged. In which case, I would unbolt the hub, remove the shield, cut off the damaged parts, drill out the broken bolts, and put it back together with your kit and new bolts. If I am missing damage, and you need a new hub, you're looking at major $$ and I would call Erie Volvo to source a used one.

billr99
12-13-2013, 07:47 AM
It look like the repair kit is the way Volvo should have done the design initially. Interesting though, as I've been into a lot of Volvo e-brakes and I can't recall ever seeing the boss sheared off. But then again, these new OEM e-brakes shoes are way down in quality from what they used to be in the 200, 700, 900 and 800/V/S70 series cars. Never had any of those have the shoes freeze to the drum either. I'd bet that this damage is a result of an e-brake shoe coming apart with the bits whirling around doing the damage.

Please keep us posted if you end up trying to source that repair kit somewhere in North America. Might be worth it to someone in future.

Good luck,

Bill

coastal
12-17-2013, 06:47 PM
Yeah, that wheel has had an ongoing squeakrandom sounds since very early on, and the dealers were never able to get it sorted... Pretty sure it's all related.

Will letcha know how it goes!