PDA

View Full Version : Figuring out if timing belt is worn..

surfercalavera
12-07-2013, 10:35 PM
Any help is appreciated... I took this picture of the timing belt. Is it showing signs that it needs replacement?
Mileage is 170K, replaced at 100K first. Thinking about replacing it myself.

Thanks!

youropeen
12-08-2013, 07:00 AM
You would be better off taking the front timing cover off as well so you could see where the belt goes around one of the smaller pulleys. You might be able to see any cracks that you would not see where the belt goes around the cam gears. You would also be able to inspect the water pump for any seepage and if the other pulleys/tensioner are losing grease. The pulleys are more of an issue than the belt itself. If one of those were to give up the ghost, you belt would be sure to follow.

howardc64
12-08-2013, 10:17 AM
I read the tensioner and roller pulley seizing are the higher cause of failure rather than the belt itself. I think you can see the evidence of grease leaking and spinning out but requires removal to see the backside. Here is a link for some pictures from a Volvo tech

http://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-v70-13/timing-belt-precautions-15168/#post77423

JRL
12-08-2013, 10:43 AM
The tensioner is more important than the belt itself

gary g
12-09-2013, 07:58 PM
Hows it running? I had my belt replaced after I bought the car with 169k on it. The idle was very erratic. Thought it was the ETM, but a new belt and a software update took care of it.

surfercalavera
12-10-2013, 11:05 AM
Runs good. What is the software upgrade called? Is this only done through a dealer? and how much???

Thanks!

Hows it running? I had my belt replaced after I bought the car with 169k on it. The idle was very erratic. Thought it was the ETM, but a new belt and a software update took care of it.

howardc64
12-10-2013, 12:31 PM
Runs good. What is the software upgrade called? Is this only done through a dealer? and how much???

Thanks!

For 01s (gary_g's car is an 01 from his other posts), Volvo released an ETM software update that helped some erratic engine performance. Volvo changed to a more robust ETM design starting from 02 so this update doesn't apply to your 04 XC70.

Back to your original question... was the tensioner and belt roller replaced with the first timing belt job? If so, you are probably okay for another 20-30k miles @170k if they didn't get contaminated with any fluid leaks. But you are due soon anyways and given the miles+age of the car, you might consider doing it early for a peace of mind. You likely have to change the water pump on this second belt change also.

surfercalavera
12-10-2013, 02:28 PM
Great info, thanks!

I ordered the FCP kit w/water pump. Like you said, it will give me a piece of mind for a while.

For 01s (gary_g's car is an 01 from his other posts), Volvo released an ETM software update that helped some erratic engine performance. Volvo changed to a more robust ETM design starting from 02 so this update doesn't apply to your 04 XC70.

Back to your original question... was the tensioner and belt roller replaced with the first timing belt job? If so, you are probably okay for another 20-30k miles @170k if they didn't get contaminated with any fluid leaks. But you are due soon anyways and given the miles+age of the car, you might consider doing it early for a peace of mind. You likely have to change the water pump on this second belt change also.

nickbw
12-10-2013, 03:43 PM
You surely cannot be serious in thinking a belt inspection has any value unless you can flex the belt and determine its condition? Furthermore, as I believe other posters have commented, it is the brakedown of tensioner and idler pully bearings, which is far more likely to junk your interfearence fit engine. Indeed the waterpump is amazingly long lived on these and not very likely to cause catastrophy. There is however, one other replaceable item quite likely to take out your serpentine and/or cam belt if it fails, and that's the alternator pully which has a ratchet feature to limit the extent of pulses causing premature failure. Just a few members of this site record this and draw attention to the fact it should be replaced at cam belt service intervals.