PDA

View Full Version : Just did the first oil change

1Lieutenant
12-31-2002, 08:57 AM
Just changed the "break-in" oil in my 2002 XC.  I waited for 7K miles prior to changing based on my previous experience with this engine.  I wanted to be sure it was fully run in.

My unscientific findings:

1.  Oil change is no more difficult to do than on any other car once the belly pan is removed (8 bolts, I'm sure they are metric, but came off easily with a 6 point 1/2" socket)
2.  17mm socket is required for the oil pan and the IPD filter wrench.
3.  I could NOT find a torque value for the pan nut ANYWHERE.  I used 29 lb ft, same as my previous Acura since they both have alloy pans.  Anyone with the correct number, I would appreciate it.
4.  Filter is easy to remove, but very messy.
5.  I inspected the inside of the filter housing carefully under bright light.  Could not find any evidence of sediment, particulate matter.  No gritty feeling between the fingers.  Made me feel a little better about leaving the initial oil in for this long.
6.  The oil itself did not look dirty.

I wish I had sent this oil in for analysis, but thought about it too late.

Steve

1Lieutenant
12-31-2002, 09:12 AM
By the way....

I used Mobil1 10W-30 oil and a Volvo filter.

Steve

Art
12-31-2002, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the valuable tips Steve! http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

How many quarts/litres of oil did the XC finally end up taking in?

BTW, I believe the torque value for the drain plug is 26 ft.lbs if that's of any help. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

1Lieutenant
12-31-2002, 03:45 PM
Six quarts brought it up to the fill line.  I did NOT drain the oil cooler.

Steve

Hiro's XC
01-01-2003, 11:27 AM
I wouldn't recommend opening the oil cooler lines. It really is pointless and you are asking for a leak.

Jason

c900
05-28-2003, 07:29 AM
Oil cooler - there's a separate oil cooler on the 2.5L turbo engine!

Wow, I didn't realize that.

I have only 700 miles on my XC70. I will be changing the oil myself when the time comes.

BTW, I agree with the previous poster, I would not bother to disconnect the oil cooler lines either.

Hiro's XC
05-28-2003, 09:59 AM
I have to admit that this car uses no oil. Truly amazing. I have never had a car, much less a turbo one do that. I changed the oil the first time at 5K miles and again at 10K miles. I am currently at 16.8K miles and will change it at 17.5K Since it wasn't burning it I decided to go to the 7500 schedule. My TDI burns about 1.5 quarts every 5K. Well that car does a lot of idling in traffic and a diesel draws a small amount of oil past the seals in the turbo in that state. My kudos to Volvo. I know plenty of people that knock the manufacturers that make turbo cars as companies that can't cut the mustard as far as output is concerned. I feel the opisite is true. Who needs all the problems that a naturaly aspirated high strung car encounters. BMW M3?, M5? The 3 is lunching engines left and right and the 00' & 01' 5's burn a TON of oil. Up to 1.5 litres per 1k miles!!! And they call it normal? Oh and the Castol 10W60 oil at $15 a quart that you HAVE to run to keep the warranty........Scary.

Jason