PDA

View Full Version : Fixing the ol' AWD

sinabd
12-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Hi,
The AWD on my car has never really worked properly, and now it doesn't work at all. When I bought the car the shop told me the angle gear needed to be resealed so I got that done, and it hasn't leaked since. Since the AWD doesn't work I asked for a printout of the error codes and there were only two on the sheet:

DEM-0007 Hydraulic pressure. Incorrect value (DTC is found not active)
DEM-0006 Pump faulty signal (DTC is found not active)

From this I take it that only the pump is faulty (since i'm not getting the "DEM-0002 Pressure sensor. Faulty signal" code). Should I also replace the pressure sensor just to be sure?

Also what would be the cheapest option for replacing the pump? I've read that some VW parts are interchangeable

Thanks in advance for any advice!

hoonk
12-03-2013, 01:33 PM
Here's what Volvo has to say -

For the possible solutions to dem 0007 - 1= no problem found 2= bad active on demand coupling and 3 that didn't copy to the picture = bad DEM

Note that you will need vida to be able to read the oil pressure [happy]

tapanitja
12-04-2013, 12:24 AM
Hi,
DEM-006/7 both indicate aoc pump failure and so does the 210 000km as well. Renewed mine at 130 000km.

In my V70/06 the removal of cardan was necessary and it wasn't quite easy as it was tight and rusty.

Renewal of the temp/pressure sensor inside easy to access control unit takes no more than 15to30 mins
and can be done also later if needed.

br tapsa
ps. aoc oil and oil filter renewal as maintenance item every 50k or so

guyeye
12-04-2013, 10:02 AM
Hi,
DEM-006/7 both indicate aoc pump failure and so does the 210 000km as well. Renewed mine at 130 000km.

In my V70/06 the removal of cardan was necessary and it wasn't quite easy as it was tight and rusty.

Renewal of the temp/pressure sensor inside easy to access control unit takes no more than 15to30 mins
and can be done also later if needed.

br tapsa
ps. aoc oil and oil filter renewal as maintenance item every 50k or so

Please excuse my ignorance and I don't mean to hijack this thread, but as a point of clarification; when you mention removal of the "cardan" are you talking about the 'props shaft'?

TrueBlue
12-04-2013, 11:00 AM
In practical terms they're the same.
For purists methinks the prop shaft is one that connects the gearbox and (rear) axle directly.
If the transmission has an intermediate bearing (as some lorry axles) both (?) are cardan shafts.

I'm sure a better definition will be along shortly.

BTW "lorry" means a truck or even a large pickup.

TrueBlue
12-04-2013, 11:01 AM
duplicated

JRL
12-04-2013, 12:14 PM
Called DELETE post
hit your edit button

sinabd
12-04-2013, 12:31 PM
Wow thanks for all the replies!

This weekend I'll drive my car on a ramp and have a listen to the pump. I'll let you guys know if its making any sounds.

One more question: since I'm not seeing any dem to bcm communication codes or other dem codes is it safe to rule out a faulty dem?

dpaton
12-04-2013, 01:10 PM
"Normally" - yes.

Take ground and 12 volts from the battery to the pump connector and connect. 12v is on the right pump connector but DC motors go both ways with no harm - listen for the spin.

Forkster
12-04-2013, 02:03 PM
"Normally" - yes.

Take ground and 12 volts from the battery to the pump connector and connect. 12v is on the right pump connector but DC motors go both ways with no harm - listen for the spin.We just had another member here with exactly the same problem which threw similar codes - turned out he needed a new pump. A new pump is a whole lot cheaper than replacing the angle gear.

tapanitja
12-05-2013, 02:03 AM
Hi, last year I asked BorgWarner directly, please find the answer below.
br Tapsa
"
Dear Mr,
1. Without diagnostic tool it is difficult to determine the function of the Temp/pressure sensor.
The sensor needs to show a pressure of 0,2MPa or higher for the system to function. Nominal value is 0,4MPa.
2. Listen to the pump motor while the car engine is running at idle speed. The motor should make a small continuous humming sound.
If it is loud, silent, intermittent or changes sound something may be wrong.
When supplied with power externally at ~5volts the current draw should be about 1-2 ampere.
If much higher something is wrong, if much lower something is also wrong.

Med vänliga hälsningar / Best Regards,
BorgWarner TorqTransfer Systems AB
"