PDA

View Full Version : Squeaking noise from wiper blades

new daddy
12-01-2013, 03:41 PM
I just had the wiper blades replaced with brand-new ones from Valvoline, but they make squeaking noise right off the bat. What gives? Anything wrong with the new wiper blades? Or can I put some treatment on the windshield to make the noise go away?

JRL
12-01-2013, 04:42 PM
Vapoline?

You need to adjust your wiper arms then buy a high quality blade.
(I have no idea what you bought).

This is a problem with ALL Volvos from time to time
Apply either Rain-X or glass wax on your windshield, that helps a lot or claybar your windshield.
That removes any fine imperfections or fine dirt.
Best is to claybar THEN Rain-X or glass polish

new daddy
12-02-2013, 08:47 AM
Vapoline?

You need to adjust your wiper arms then buy a high quality blade.
(I have no idea what you bought).

This is a problem with ALL Volvos from time to time
Apply either Rain-X or glass wax on your windshield, that helps a lot or claybar your windshield.
That removes any fine imperfections or fine dirt.
Best is to claybar THEN Rain-X or glass polish

Sorry. I meant Valvoline. Seemed decent products.
I'll give Rain-X a try, as I have a bottle at home. Thanks.

Pennhaven
12-02-2013, 11:24 AM
It's been a long while since I've used Rain-X, but my experience was that it sometimes made the wiper blades drag and chatter.

Instead I'd clean your windshield with Bon Ami household cleanser. It's a less abrasive bathroom type cleanser than something like Comet, so it won't scratch the glass, but it completely removes road film. Rinse the windshield thoroughly first and then sprinkle on the cleanser and rub with a wet sponge. i.e., plenty of water so it's not too abrasive.

I've been doing this twice a year to each vehicle ever since I saw the tip on the PBS Show Motor Week, back in the 80s or early 90s. Works great to remove road film without damaging the glass.

JRL
12-02-2013, 01:33 PM
Much easier and less harsh to claybar....it has the same result

dpaton
12-02-2013, 03:03 PM
Minor hijack question - what do you use as readily available glass polish? My windscreen has a slightly "sandblasted" look to it.

Thanks.

Astro14
12-03-2013, 12:50 PM
Clean windshield helps. I have also found that PIAA silicone wiper blades are great - long lasting and smooth. In fact, put 1,500 miles on the T5 this past week. Snow, rain, ice, not washed once and the wipers are smooth, quiet and effective...they're not cheap, but the PIAA are worth very penny.

For cleaning/polishing, I would give Griots Garage a look, and try their formulated glass polish.