PDA

View Full Version : Need advise with CEL

atbspinner
11-30-2013, 09:59 AM
So the cel will come on if I drive around town 10-15 miles. If I drive on the highway a couple of days in a row it goes back off. I drive to work
80 miles round trip on the highway and not much other that that so it stays off most of the time. I cannot notice any issues with how the car runs when
it comes on. I had the code read several years ago and it had something to do with the cat. converter. I'm looking to sell the car soon and don't
want to put a lot of money in it so I can sell it cheap. Anybody have experience with a similar issue? Is there a sensor that can be cleaned or replaced?
I know a new cat. would not be cheap.

JRL
11-30-2013, 01:36 PM
If it was a CAT code it was probably a CAT efficiency code, those do come on and off and can be an SOB to track down.
Sometimes it's an 02 sensor(s), sometimes the cat, sometimes both.

If it's occasional just keep on driving it if you plan to sell it within a year

atbspinner
11-30-2013, 02:56 PM
Thanks JRL. I was really hoping to get it on the market within the next week. I have another Volvo I'm hoping to purchase soon.
I just don't want to put it up for sale with a cel on. I know a guy advertising parts of another '01 with 73k. Would it be worth it
to buy a used cat and sensors? I just know if I take it to a dealer I will not be in good shape. I will be lucky to get $3500 out of
the car with 179K. Although it is in exceptional condition inside and out with no other issues. I've kept the tranny serviced every
50k and she runs great.

JRL
11-30-2013, 04:16 PM
Clear the code
It should not come back for a long while

Haven't you learned yet, not to buy another 2001!!!

8pack
11-30-2013, 04:26 PM
Follow this link and read my post on installing a non fouler plug. $5 and 1/2hr to an 1hr of work. Worth a try. I bet it gets rid of you CEL. Did it on my Volvo and Saab and fixed the CEL in both cases....

and like JRL said, DON"T BUY ANOTHER '01. READ the posts on them, nothing but trouble. Save the money and get an '04......

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?15359-re-More-Catalytic-Converter-Problems&highlight=o2+Sensor

atbspinner
11-30-2013, 06:50 PM
I never said I was buying another XC. I'm looking at a C70.
I will check out the non fouler plug.

JRL
11-30-2013, 08:59 PM
Do you not listen?
You said the code is intermittent
Clear the code and trade it in
You won't get much more retail with those miles anyway and it could take weeks, months to sell

You need adviCE... adviCe not advise

Swagger XC
11-30-2013, 10:29 PM
If your trading it in would you consider selling your spoiler seperated?

passleft
12-01-2013, 06:39 AM
It sounds like you haven't had this code diagnosed recently. You can take it to the dealer and they will check the code for free before you start throwing parts at it. It might be something else entirely...

atbspinner
12-02-2013, 04:08 AM
Do you not listen?
You said the code is intermittent
Clear the code and trade it in
You won't get much more retail with those miles anyway and it could take weeks, months to sell

You need adviCE... adviCe not advise

Do you not read? Never said I would buy another 01 xc. I'm looking at a private party sale. I don't need you to correct spelling either.
I don't have a lot of time to deal with this and work 60+ hours a week. Maybe when I retire I will scan the internet for spelling errors.

atbspinner
12-02-2013, 04:10 AM
If your trading it in would you consider selling your spoiler seperated?

No, there are holes drilled in the hatch to mount the thing. Thanks anyway.

JRL
12-02-2013, 05:27 AM
"I was really hoping to get it on the market within the next week. I have another Volvo I'm hoping to purchase soon.
I just don't want to put it up for sale with a cel on. I know a guy advertising parts of another '01 with 73k"

Your statement says 01. This is an XC website ... the obvious conclusion would be an XC
An 01 C70 has the same transmission

Swagger XC
12-02-2013, 07:51 AM
Sorry to go back to the spoiler, but with high mileage like that why would a dealer even care if it has a few plugged holes above the tailgate. Most likely (and probably undeservedly) your car will end up at an auction and no one will care of a few small holes. Sorry to keep asking but I've been looking everywhere for a reasonably priced spoiler.

Dubya
12-02-2013, 03:55 PM
The topic starter states that he knows of someone who has parts of an ’01 XC for sale, parts (cat and O2 sensor) which he could use for his own, current XC, so as to get rid of the CEL in order to be able to sell the car. OP does not mention that he intends to buy an ’01 C70, rather that he is buying a C70.

To answer OP’s question: you could definitely give it a try with the used parts; if it works, great, but if it doesn’t you’re probably not out a whole lot of money either.

atbspinner
12-02-2013, 04:42 PM
The topic starter states that he knows of someone who has parts of an ’01 XC for sale, parts (cat and O2 sensor) which he could use for his own, current XC, so as to get rid of the CEL in order to be able to sell the car. OP does not mention that he intends to buy an ’01 C70, rather that he is buying a C70.

To answer OP’s question: you could definitely give it a try with the used parts; if it works, great, but if it doesn’t you’re probably not out a whole lot of money either.

Thanks for reading carefully and not being too caught up in yourself like some others.

Swagger XC
12-02-2013, 05:13 PM
I understood that. I dont see why no one else could.

atbspinner
12-02-2013, 06:41 PM
Sorry to go back to the spoiler, but with high mileage like that why would a dealer even care if it has a few plugged holes above the tailgate. Most likely (and probably undeservedly) your car will end up at an auction and no one will care of a few small holes. Sorry to keep asking but I've been looking everywhere for a reasonably priced spoiler.

I will keep you first on the list if I part that out.

Swagger XC
12-02-2013, 06:49 PM
Thanks! It'll help you make more on top of your trade in