PDA

View Full Version : Front bags and belts blown after a 50km T-bone

BackinaVolvo!
11-26-2013, 10:07 AM
I may be back out of my Volvo after driving for only 3 months! 2004 XC70.
Tboned a car turning left across my lane. He was ticketed, even have a witness.
No other visible damage except scuffed front bumper, as I hit square on.
Waiting at the pleasure of the adjuster working for the insurance company to get an assessment back.
What 7 Hell's am I in for with this repair-wise?
Seat belts, bags, dashboard, are there modules fried as a result as well?
And further, having paid 6k for it, I bet they write it off...
Not optimistic I'll get BackinaVolvo

JRL
11-26-2013, 11:58 AM
It will be totaled
No insurance here?

Volvoholic
11-27-2013, 12:38 AM
So this car let you walk right out of it in a collision hard enough to deploy air bags and you're pessimistic about getting another Volvo?

Not to be rude but there are guys who spent the cost of their car in repairs and the still bought another Volvo. Just ask me.

Astro14
11-28-2013, 05:48 AM
Be thankful you're among those unhurt.

Then start shopping for a new used Volvo, because this one saved you from getting hurt, or worse...

BackinaVolvo!
12-03-2013, 02:20 PM
Don't get me wrong friends, I was in a Volvo that looked after me very well, walked away without a scratch.
I was only speaking practically to an audience that I didn't have to sell on the Volvo's capabilities... looking for advise on what now.
Common opinion sounds like it is a right off, start looking for another...

It was insured, they're giving me book value of $7600. I can buy back the car as salvage for $1300, is it worth doing is now the question.

billr99
12-03-2013, 03:45 PM
Don't get me wrong friends, I was in a Volvo that looked after me very well, walked away without a scratch.
I was only speaking practically to an audience that I didn't have to sell on the Volvo's capabilities... looking for advise on what now.

It was insured, they're giving me book value of $7600. I can buy back the car as salvage for $1300, is it worth doing is now the question.

Probably more than $1300 worth of parts on it if you are willing to hassle with that approach. Covey's down in Blandford (NS, right?) want $200 for a DIM, $500 for a steering rack, and $400 for a driveshaft and that is just stuff I've checked on. Grab your tools and give me a call if you want to part it out as I could use a few bits that are probably still good on it. I'm sure there are others within a couple of hours of Halifax that could also use some bits.

Cheers,

Bill

Astro14
12-03-2013, 04:07 PM

In general: No. The reason is this - you may have damage that's unseen...damage that you won't discover until the car is apart...and that will cost you even more to fix, thus eating into the "savings" between the $1300 you'll spend buying it back, and what it will be worth when you're done.

Don't delude yourself that a salvage title car is worth even close to regular blue book. It's not. And when you're done, if it is in another wreck, you may not get anything for it.

I looked into this at length with my much-loved 850 wagon...it had only sheet metal damage (hood, headlights, grill), no airbag deployment...but I would have had to pay the State of Vermont hundreds to inspect it after the work was done, and they could fail it for damage/reasons unrelated to the accident...but I wouldn't know that until I was done spending $$ repairing it...and my insurance company wouldn't insure it, either...so it would have needed a separate policy.

That's why I said be thankful and start shopping...

BackinaVolvo!
12-04-2013, 05:25 AM
Thanks gentlemen, will give it some thought. This is exactly what I was worried about, kidding myself just because it "looked" OK.
Probably buy it back anyway as it has week old Michelin winters and new rims on it. Damnation.

JRL
12-04-2013, 06:37 AM
That would be the only reason, to part it out.
Don't even think about trying to fix a salvage titled car with blown airbags

BackinaVolvo!
12-04-2013, 07:17 AM
Wise words, all becoming clear.
Thanks again

billr99
12-04-2013, 07:07 PM
Thanks gentlemen, will give it some thought. This is exactly what I was worried about, kidding myself just because it "looked" OK.
Probably buy it back anyway as it has week old Michelin winters and new rims on it. Damnation.

Exactly what I was saying. Those rims and tires will get way more than half the $1300 it will take to keep the car. A few more bits and bobs and you got your $1300 back and everything after that bonus money.

Good luck,

Bill

BackinaVolvo!
12-05-2013, 11:17 AM
Thanks Bill, a lot of practical wisdom in this here XC crew.

Astro14
12-05-2013, 12:18 PM
They say that wisdom comes from experience.

I say, experience comes from a lack of wisdom...

Volvoholic
12-06-2013, 12:47 AM
Oh, I got it. Sounded like you were off Volvo's because of an accident. But yes, take the money and run. Go find a newer XC to buy! Should only cost you another $3-4K, maybe 5 max, for a nice '06-07 version.

There's no way you can get your wheels/tires from it? My insurance would tell me they're scrapping it anyway so I would have a chance to go and take what I wanted.

sanfelice
12-06-2013, 08:56 AM
buy another 04/5/6 that needs something you already have (on this car), and use this one for parts?

BackinaVolvo!
12-12-2013, 02:08 PM
Ya boys, had a reputable Volvo mechanic take a last gasp look, and he said all the same things. $3-4k to get bags belts fixed, but guaranteed electronic headaches etc haunting the car after.
So, find myself another XC70, keep my old for parts.
I confess tho, I've always been partial to this Red 04, seems shallow I know, go for a good running car, eff the color, besides red is hard to find in my end of the continent.
Maybe I should head U.S. side find a southern car....

BackinaVolvo!
12-23-2013, 07:55 AM
So, getting another XC, would an 02 be close enough for parting out the 04 for it?

swimNdrive
12-23-2013, 08:28 AM
So, getting another XC, would an 02 be close enough for parting out the 04 for it?

03 and 04 are the closest twin. 01-02 are known to have many issues. I would try to get an 04 if not an 03. Lot of them out there.

JRL
12-23-2013, 09:36 AM
I have a nice red 04 for sale
See classifieds for details

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww329/JRL1194/2004%20XC70%20RED/2004XC70NEWRIGHTFRONT.jpg (http://s732.photobucket.com/user/JRL1194/media/2004%20XC70%20RED/2004XC70NEWRIGHTFRONT.jpg.html)

BackinaVolvo!
12-23-2013, 12:24 PM
Nice, same beast and colour as my cracked one, being new to this site, where do I find classifieds?

BackinaVolvo!
12-23-2013, 12:33 PM
Thank man, good call.

RockitShip
12-23-2013, 12:33 PM
Nice color, would look awesome with color matched clading

BackinaVolvo!
12-23-2013, 12:36 PM
Now that you've had time to look'her over, what's the call on price? And where are you located?

JRL
12-23-2013, 03:27 PM
Phila, PA suburbs (19333)
Price, I don't know yet. It needs a few things but some of this I should be able to get paid back as they were missed on the post sale inspection.
Therefore, I can't really give out a price as all this, because of the holidays, will take a few days for me and them to work this out, etc.
I should know more by the end of the this week, if not Monday

Needs a complete breather box system
T belt (I had already that figured in)
Needs a pair of front springs, THAT was unexpected, and spring seats
Rest of the stuff is minor and was figured in my purchase price.

Basically it's a real nice XC

As for the classifieds, how did you get to this forum?
You went to the main forum page, right?
Try scrolling down when you're there to look at ALL the forums on this site.

Ask around.
When you buy a Volvo from me, it needs NOTHING!

JRL
12-23-2013, 03:29 PM
Nice color, would look awesome with color matched cladding

Yes, it would but that's a ton of paintwork, I've did my first white one many years ago, not cheap
2 "D"s in cladding

BackinaVolvo!
12-24-2013, 08:51 AM
Thanks, will keep an eye on it.
I've only been a member of this forum for a few months so still learning the site.

JRL
12-24-2013, 12:15 PM
Well, if you think you may be interested, please email me (email in signature, at the bottom of any of my posts) and we can chat about it