PDA

View Full Version : HELP !! Timing Marks

XCHauler
11-22-2013, 04:43 PM
I changed my timing belt on my 2001 V70 XC yesterday and when I drove a short distance it threw a code of PO 114. I did a little research and determined that my exhaust cam must have moved after installation. My Volvo ran with decreased performance and had a fairly rough idle. I measured and marked the timing marks on the camshaft sprockets prior to removing any belts and came up with these measurements. The timing marks on the camshafts and belt cover were aligned then.

Distance between the centerline of the marks: 171mm
Number of belt teeth between the marks: 18 teeth
When I reassembled the belts yesterday, I confirmed that these measurements were correct

I replaced the tensioner, idler roller and serpentine belt

When I disassembled the timing belt today the marks have changed and apparently the exhaust camshaft has shifted.
Distance between the centerline of the marks: 162mm
Number of belt teeth between the marks: 17 teeth
The centerline distance between each gear tooth is approximately 9mm

The new tensioner adjustment needle had also moved from center to the left (clockwise) from yesterday

My 2001 XC only has adjustment on the rear exhaust CVVT camshaft

How could have this changed so much?

The timing gear marks currently do not align with the notches on the upper belt cover as well.
There appears to be some adjustability on the rear camshaft (3) 8mm bolts to allow the shift needed move one tooth counterclockwise.
Do I rotate only the exhaust camshaft one tooth counterclockwise? Will this align both camshaft timing marks with the belt cover?

Also I cannot determine what is the alignment mark on the engine for the crankshaft gear?
Should the two small indentation marks on the gear teeth and the ridge mark on the pulley point at 12:00? I cannot find any marks on the metal bracket attached to the engine. Is the length of the bracket the acceptable timing range for the engine or should the marks be aligned midpoint (12:00 o'clock)

I have attached some images for reference

The first time that I replaced the timing kit I had none of these issues.

I also used a Milwaukee 18V electric impact wrench #2662 to remove the vibration pulley, it worked great!

I really need some help on this issue and would appreciate any assistance ASAP.

Thanks!!!

XCHAULER

XCHauler
11-22-2013, 04:55 PM
Here is an image that I took before I removed the timing belt. The timing mark is aligned to the left of center

XCHAULER

vtl
11-22-2013, 11:02 PM
You are off by 1 tooth. Either tensioner was set incorrectly and belt jumped, or you just missed one tooth during belt installation. Next time put marks on all 3 sprockets and old belt, remove belt, transfer marks to new belt, install. DOHC cam lock and paper clips (to fix belt on sprockets) will make life a bit easier.

Also why you have traces of oil everywhere? Did you ever clean PCV?

Crankshaft position:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/InTheIROC/2011-04-17_034439_crank_mark_copy.jpg

XCHauler
11-23-2013, 12:36 PM
You are off by 1 tooth. Either tensioner was set incorrectly and belt jumped, or you just missed one tooth during belt installation. Next time put marks on all 3 sprockets and old belt, remove belt, transfer marks to new belt, install. DOHC cam lock and paper clips (to fix belt on sprockets) will make life a bit easier.

Also why you have traces of oil everywhere? Did you ever clean PCV?

Crankshaft position:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/InTheIROC/2011-04-17_034439_crank_mark_copy.jpg

thanks for the image, this really helps!

I replaced the entire pvc system last year and the cam seals are not leaking. The oil residue is coming from behind the timing cover behind the tensioner is appears to be coming from the bolt hole that secures the lower timing cover.

XChauler