PDA

View Full Version : New Volvo Owner

snakemittens
11-11-2013, 09:42 PM
I've been looking at a 2003 XC70 with my girlfriend over the weekend, and lurked on this site to read up on many common problems (transmission, electrical) and see what the community was like. Well, we pulled the trigger today and drove home our new-to-us wagon. This is my first Volvo, although not my first European (2000 Passat 1.8T), but I think I'm really going to enjoy this vehicle. Very spacious in the back, and nothing but comfort inside.

So I basically wanted to introduce myself, and hear any preventive maintenance tips anyone might have. It's automatic with 147k on the clock. The dealer replaced the brake booster, but other than that and seeing the timing belt sticker (106k I think) in the engine bay, the maintenance records are sparse. I want to replace the fuel filter and the PCV system myself in the next week, and maybe have a Volvo dealer flush the ATF (no B4 Anchor!). Also, the brake lines to both front calipers are visibly worn, is this common? Is it an easy DIY?

Anyways, thanks for reading my post, and I look forward to learning many things and hopefully providing some help to others.

vtl
11-11-2013, 10:43 PM
Nice XC70 :)

Front brake hoses are common, very easy DIY.

Don't flush transmission at this mileage, do several drain'n'fills. People use cheaper Mobil 3309 or Toyota T-IV as ATF. This is 10x times easier than replacing PCV. Search forum for HOWTO.

Transmission does not have replaceable filter, consider installing Magnefine 3/8" filter in radiator return line (upper hose).

I'd install oil cooler for transmission too. Did that on both my Volvos, great result, no jerk shifts in hot weather. Coolers were Hayden OC-1401 for V70 and 1403 for XC70.

Parts online: fcpeuro.com (east) and ipdusa.com (west). Dealer is usually overpriced.

Steve F
11-12-2013, 01:11 AM
Probably a little late now but I'd verify that your rear axle is powered. I learned a little too late, after I bought it. I'm real pleased with my '01, I'm 6'4" and it's one of the few cars that is comfortable for me to drive. My '01 has 208,000 on it now and is going strong, 22mpg around town and 30 on a trip. Love it! Good luck with yours!

Steve F
11-12-2013, 01:29 AM
Probably a little late now but I'd verify that your rear axle is powered. I learned a little too late, after I bought it. I'm real pleased with my '01, I'm 6'4" and it's one of the few cars that is comfortable for me to drive. My '01 has 208,000 on it now and is going strong, 22mpg around town and 30 on a trip. Love it! Good luck with yours!

Thames
11-12-2013, 06:37 AM
If you want to rejuvenate those bumpers, use FOREVER BLACK. Nothing else (unless you want to paint them which is not worth the hassle compared to FB).

snakemittens
11-12-2013, 07:42 AM
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'll look into a good old drain and fill of the transmission. Is there an easy way to ensure the AWD works? The only way I can think of (besides finding some ice or snow) is taking it to a shop.

JRL
11-12-2013, 08:13 AM
Put it on a lift or jackstands
Start engine
Put it in gear and let idle

If the rear wheels are spinning the same as the front rotational speed you probably have functioning AWD.
(At least you know the collar gear is good)!

Swagger XC
11-12-2013, 06:46 PM
Being an 03 your trans has a different valvebody and is way less likely to fail like 01's or 02's.

Still a good idea to do several drain and fills, however the B4 is only to be done if you are experiencing a shift "flare" from 2-3. Otherwise there is no need to do it.

Xheart
11-12-2013, 08:30 PM
I would remove the Toyota sticker immediately so shops would not mistake and replace it with Toyota fluids and parts. Use premium gas.

snakemittens
11-14-2013, 07:05 PM
Well, it was fun while it lasted folks. Against my gut and mainly due to the fact that we live in a new city and needed a car ASAP, we bought this vehicle before having it independently inspected. I did, however, have my girlfriend take it to the Volvo dealer while I was at work the next day. She was against spending the $125, but I'm glad I did. Big surprise - the AWD doesn't work. Also, the upper motor mount is cracked, lower control arms are cracked, and the tie rods are loose. Going to be a $3-4k fix on a car I JUST bought for $6k!!

After work (and sick to my stomach - oh boy, what did I just get myself into?!) we rode back to the dealership that sold it to us and told them what the situation was and showed him the report from the Volvo dealer. Since we bought it AS-IS, they realistically could have told us to piss off right there, but instead the sales manager gave us a rental for the night and held onto the XC to have his guys put it on the lift the next morning. Long story and a very anxious 24 hours later, he calls saying that his technician messed up big time by not finding these problems and that he would have never sold us this car if he knew what was wrong with it. He apologizes and says we can either credit the money towards a different car on his lot, or get our money back :) What a relief - I thought I just gambled away $6,000! We looked around the lot, but there weren't any other wagons, so we told them we'll just take the cash back. They obliged and we're now again in the car market.

The dealership was Cool Springs Toyota in Franklin, TN. Kenny, the sales manager was a standup guy and I'm glad they did the right thing, when they legally weren't obliged to help us in any way. Now I just need to get a car so I can get rid of this POS Dodge Avenger rental car I'm in!

vtl
11-14-2013, 07:14 PM
Be realistic: if you buy a car for $6k, which was close to $40k being new, you have to spend more money to fix previous owners negligence :) I bought MY2002 V70 for $6k and in next 2 years put another $6k into repairs and maintenance. Runs perfectly.

Everything you mentioned is not a big deal. Maybe AWD is a bit more expensive, but not $3-4k for sure.

ssicarman
11-14-2013, 09:59 PM
Kudos to the Toyota dealer for refunding your money.

Thames
11-15-2013, 06:17 AM
Hey I bought a 2005 (190k) 1.5 year ago and it is in fine shape !
Angle gear, rear bearings, power steering, all freshly rebuilt. Got it for 7k$. You still can find a deal if you search.

MacNoob
11-16-2013, 11:57 AM
Awesome performance by that dealer.