PDA

View Full Version : xc70 no start trouble.

dcninja123
11-01-2013, 06:49 AM
So car was fine yesterday. NO sign of anything wrong.

this morning the car decided not to start.

Turns over. Lights work. Everything seems normal.

Does not start.

I hear the fuel pump cut on when i turn the key.

Battery was at 233 crank amps or whatever when advance auto tested it.

Replaced battery.

Still did not fix. - also tried to jump from under the hood before removing battery to test it.

I don't think it's the fuel pump. Don't think it's the alternator (could be but that wouldn't prevent it from starting, and the new battery should have made it start anyway)

I'm kind of at a loss.

Getting usaa to tow it to my volvo guy.

I'm curious as to what you guys think or if this has happened to anyone and what the fix was.

Thanks!

vtl
11-01-2013, 10:55 AM
Does starter crank?

dcninja123
11-01-2013, 11:21 AM
yes that's what i meant by turns over. sorry. yes the starter is cranking, but the car won't start. I tried to jump it and I got a new battery. did not fix.

guymon
11-02-2013, 07:20 AM
You can always do old school basics:
Check, Fuel, Air, Compression, Spark.

dcninja123
11-04-2013, 01:58 PM
guess what it was...

lol

crank sensor wire was corroded and had to be replaced due to the plastic cases they use now instead of old school metal like they used to be.

cheap part caused downtime... i miss metal car parts...too much plastic these days.

Thames
11-04-2013, 04:18 PM
Aaaah.... I was about to chime in about the crank sensor !! That damn thing drove me nuts last year during winter. I had to replace it as I got a CEL code at the time.

dcninja123
11-08-2013, 01:59 PM
apparently it's still not starting. the diagnostic is telling them it's running at 6,000 rpm and coolant temp is at 190 degrees when it's clearly not.

wtf.

dcninja123
11-11-2013, 02:06 PM
so the volvo has a short somewhere between the CEM and the ECM. wonderful.

XCNiska
12-17-2013, 02:25 PM
I have had the same issue this morning. Turns over but won't start. One yr old battery. Boosted it with a spare battery with the same negative result.
I thought it might be the immobilizer but tried many times to start after multitude of lock and unlock with same negative result
I can't hear the fuel pump but should I hear it either from outside or inside the car? I believe it is in the fuel tank itself but not sure?
If I should hear it, that might be my issue.

XCNiska
12-18-2013, 10:07 AM
Update: So far, no fuel pressure detected! At least now, we can pinpoint to a fuel system snag as suspected yesterday. Could be the fuel pump, could be a corroded lead to the fuel pump ...? More to come ...

XCNiska
12-19-2013, 09:34 AM
Update II: Fuel pump ordered: $457. CDN. Have to remove the rear seat to get access.
This 04 XC has been extremely reliable in the last 8 yrs, so I can't complain on account of this failure.

XCNiska
12-20-2013, 03:24 PM
Final Update/Solution: Fuel pump replacement solved it! It is located below the passenger rear seat and takes a couple hrs to replace, total. Never threw any codes: Not sure why but likely because the pump never failed while driving.

Symptoms in case you are interested: About a yr ago, sporadically and seldom, it would take a second or two to start, until last week when it wouldn't start for my wife (her car) at the store. Told her to wait a few minutes & try it again. Luckily it started up for her.
But last Tues morning in the garage, it would turn but not start after boosting, etc. It convinced us that this issue needed to be seriously looked at.
The fact that the fuel pump was not making any whining noise while the key was in the ON position, lead me to believe that it was the fuel pump. The latter ended up costing me $365. CDN, plus shop time!
Hopefully, this could be of use to someone some day.