PDA

View Full Version : Swap V70 front strut/shocks onto XC70

xraybob
10-27-2013, 03:04 PM
Found a new pair of Sachs front strut/shocks on a '02 V70 today in the junk yard. I snatched them up cheap. My wife has a '04 XC70 that appears to take the same setup according to sites I've seen. I looked on this site and started getting worried that I might not be able to use these as there might be a height difference. I this swap going to be a problem or is it an easy change out? Thanks for any direction.

JRL
10-27-2013, 03:28 PM
They won't last or work properly now that they will be "stretched out"

xraybob
10-27-2013, 03:45 PM
What do you mean they won't work and what does "stretched out" refer to?

JRL
10-27-2013, 04:04 PM
They're a bit shorter, hence when mounted they will be more in the out (or stretched) position

hoonk
10-27-2013, 06:08 PM
From what I've seen the camber will be wrong (bad tire edge wear) - perhaps with adjustable bolts (have no clue who might make those) they might work

billr99
10-27-2013, 07:43 PM
.....perhaps with adjustable bolts (have no clue who might make those) they might work correctly

You can get them at your local NAPA, H&R, or Eibach. All of them appear to be identical and, I think, are actually made by Ingalls Engineering (http://www.ingallseng.com/81250-12mm-fastcam-bolts_pair.html). I have a set of Eibachs and NAPAs and they look exactly the same including the stamping marks as a set of Ingalls I have seen. In other words, get the ones that are cheapest as they are the same as those that are the most expensive; and there can be quite a range in prices.

Any road, one per strut will get you about 1 to 1.5 degrees of adjustment, just a bit more than the slop in the stock hole and bolt will give you. Two bolts per strut will get you up to 3 degrees of adjustment.

Cheers,

Bill

MacNoob
10-28-2013, 10:15 AM
How about going back and getting all 4 struts/springs and lower your XC - you'd end up with essentially a V70AWD with XC fender flares. There was some discussion on another thread about tire sizes potentially being a problem though.

hoonk
10-28-2013, 11:23 AM
The rear suspension is different on an awd car, the springs are moved slightly forward to make room for the rear axles. Rear shocks on a awd are kind of a "coil over" design and removed together with the spring for replacement of the shock. On a fwd the rear shocks are removed without the spring.

jgjones095
10-31-2013, 03:56 PM
Thread link?

How about going back and getting all 4 struts/springs and lower your XC - you'd end up with essentially a V70AWD with XC fender flares. There was some discussion on another thread about tire sizes potentially being a problem though.

MacNoob
11-01-2013, 06:40 AM
According to Hoonk's post you can't swap the rears anyway...

hoonk
11-01-2013, 07:44 AM
jgjones95 may be concerned about tires sizes, - for rear springs s60awd are supposed to fit and lower the rear (have not tried this myself)