PDA

View Full Version : Mass Air Flow

zerotosixtyin4
10-23-2013, 12:56 PM
I recently purchased a 2003 XC70 I love the car...until it just up and died without warning.

I did a little research and it came back to the MAF sensor being a primary suspect. I unplug the sensor...viola...back up and running. So I went the cheapy route and got the "made in China" unit...that didn't work. So then I went OEM Bosch...and still no luck..as soon as I plug it in...the car stumbles and dies. So I am left with the prospects of having a unit go bad and then getting two bad replacements...or I am totally missing a step in the process of diagnosing this issue.

Any input on where I should go from here or what I have done wrong would be greatly appreciated...I am completely out of ideas here...every other vehicle I have ever had...if you had a problem like this and then the problem goes away when the MAF sensor is unplugged...replace the MAF...not so much luck this time around.

Thanks in advance

hoonk
10-23-2013, 01:55 PM
Check engine light or any messages, any codes stored? - That would be a good starting place.

As far as other things - maybe a very large air leak in the intake system could cause that. (hose popped off under boost?)

surfercalavera
10-24-2013, 01:18 PM
I am not 100% sure, but I was warned about unplugging the MAF without doing the proper sequence of doing a key combination to shut down the computer. I was also warned that if you replace it, you have to take it to the dealer to reprogram the computer to the MAF.

When I replaced the PCV system, I had to remove it and start it right up!

I recently purchased a 2003 XC70 I love the car...until it just up and died without warning.

I did a little research and it came back to the MAF sensor being a primary suspect. I unplug the sensor...viola...back up and running. So I went the cheapy route and got the "made in China" unit...that didn't work. So then I went OEM Bosch...and still no luck..as soon as I plug it in...the car stumbles and dies. So I am left with the prospects of having a unit go bad and then getting two bad replacements...or I am totally missing a step in the process of diagnosing this issue.

Any input on where I should go from here or what I have done wrong would be greatly appreciated...I am completely out of ideas here...every other vehicle I have ever had...if you had a problem like this and then the problem goes away when the MAF sensor is unplugged...replace the MAF...not so much luck this time around.

Thanks in advance

JRL
10-24-2013, 01:24 PM
Nope, not a MAF
Plug and play

(Where do you read or hear this crap)?

cattlecar
10-24-2013, 02:56 PM
If you have an air leak between the MAF and the turbo you will have the same symptoms. Low MAF value yields low injector fuel flow. Unplugged causes a substitute value and it will run. Look and make sure you are free of any problems from MAF down to turbo.

surfercalavera
10-24-2013, 10:43 PM
The dealer! :0

Nope, not a MAF
Plug and play

(Where do you read or hear this crap)?

antonumillard
11-01-2013, 04:26 AM
The dealer! :0

They always say the nice things... :mad: