PDA

View Full Version : Blower motors issuses

godster
10-21-2013, 06:10 PM
I have a 2004 XC70. I am having a problem with the blower fan moter, is does not work, or does it?

I took it off the car. and put 12 volts to it directly with the battery and it works.
Here is the issue, when it is in place I get 12 volts in the 2 pin connector, and also in the 4 pin connector. but fan still wont go on......
So in other words I have power coming in and out, fan won'y work, but take out the fan and direct connect to battery it works.....what do you see that I don't.

Thanks for your help.

Dario

swimNdrive
10-21-2013, 07:14 PM
I have a 2004 XC70. I am having a problem with the blower fan moter, is does not work, or does it?

I took it off the car. and put 12 volts to it directly with the battery and it works.
Here is the issue, when it is in place I get 12 volts in the 2 pin connector, and also in the 4 pin connector. but fan still wont go on......
So in other words I have power coming in and out, fan won'y work, but take out the fan and direct connect to battery it works.....what do you see that I don't.

Thanks for your help.

Dario

I would also check the fuse, wires, contacts on the connectors and regulator (the big heat sync on the blower). How is the control unit? do you see any lights on the panel? Can you turn on the seat warmer? If you can get anything working on the temp control panel, that the issue is more likely with the fan, otherwise, your control unit may have a problem. Good luck.

hoonk
10-22-2013, 05:53 AM
If the fan works when you apply 12 volts to the two wires going directly to the motor, (and the motor spins freely, no funny noises, starts up smoothly when power is first applied, works at the lowest fan speed settings with a good resistor, etc) but not when it is plugged into the "resistor" - the "resistor" is probably bad - Volvo calls it a "power unit".

Be sure to carefully clean the fan blades off, a lot of times dirt and stuff gets on the blades and can cause a rumble at higher fan speeds.

godster
10-22-2013, 10:48 AM
Thanks for your quick replies, to answer the question about the control panel, yes everything lights up. The seat warmers work, defog works.....All the fuses are good......I can pick up a full unit at the scrap yard for 75 bucks but 125 for a new unit without the resistor.

Damn this sucks big time. Is there a reading I can get with the ohm meter?

Dario