PDA

View Full Version : 2006 brake issues

AlanS
10-19-2013, 02:40 PM
Again, just got a 2006 xc70..51K miles...been driving all week. Brake pedal is low. Too much travel before it grabs. Dealer sold me the car, stated that it passed all tests for sale + inspection. I can see that there is 'meat' on the pads, the front rotors need replacing as there is a Hefty lip on the outer edge. I like to be safe. BUT...this does not explain the low pedal. If I take it back to them, they will charge me for review of the situation. I don't see any leaks, level in reservoir stays constant. I do have an aftermarket warranty with Volvo, so if there is a problem (outside of usable parts like pads and rotors), I am covered. Any thoughts?
PLUS...I will be changing the pads and rotors in the next month or so...FCP and IPD offer many different choices...any consensus on the best /economical combo?

swimNdrive
10-19-2013, 06:06 PM
Could that be some air in the system? May be you have already tried it, if not, try to pump the brake petal 5-10 times in park while engine is running and see if that fixes it.

I just replaced all the pads and rotors for my 04 XC70 a week ago. I bought Zimmerman roters from AutohausAZ.com. They have a sale going on at this time. They had the lowest price I could find for rotors. I bought Akebono pads from FCP. They seemed to have the lowest price I could find. Both places offer free shipping. Both rotors and pads work well.

tnduc
10-19-2013, 06:20 PM
OEM rotors and Akebono ceramic pads are a popular and great combination. I put them on my 02 and I have been very satisfied with them. The same combo will go on my 03 when it is ready for new brakes.

Astro14
10-19-2013, 06:46 PM
I would take a look at the springs on the front calipers. Often installed wrong, they can cause the pads to retract too far from the disc, resulting in a soft pedal.

This thread covers both your questions: http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?18754-2004-XC70-Brake-Cliper-Spring-Photo-Needed&highlight=Caliper+spring

Cheers

Ars Gladius
10-19-2013, 06:49 PM
Pads: Akebono ceramic pads hands down, excellent bite, linear response and best of all no dust!

Rotors: Zimmerman (OEM) or Brembo both are readily available and reasonably priced.

I used Akebono and Brembo both from FCP Euro.

For the brakes: check that the caliper springs are on correctly. If they are fine, and nothing else seems out of place, then bleed the system to be sure there are no air bubbles.

Since you bought from a dealer and have CPO (certified pre-owned) warranty take it back to them and have them look at it.

ssicarman
10-19-2013, 09:21 PM
There is a good chance that if only the pads were replaced and not the dished rotors this is your issue. The pads and rotors wear in together. The rotor wears dish shaped and the pads match. New straight flat pads trying to fit against the dished rotors mean that the pad edges will hit against the rotor and get pushed in slowly potentially giving a low pedal.