PDA

View Full Version : Silicone Pipes Keep Popping Off!

guyeye
10-19-2013, 06:51 AM
Now, this is pretty annoying. Regular "worm gear" hose clamps just don't seem to hold on the various silicone pipes I'm running in the induction system. The ETM connection blew off about a year ago, then the front connection on the OTE pipe blew a few months later. Last night, the intercooler outlet connection blew on the highway, with a carload of my wife's friends in the car (not exactly confidence inspiring). I've got these puppies cranked down hard.
I'm starting to think T-Bar clamps are the answer. Anyone experience this? Recommendations? Sources?
BTW, my tune (it's gotta be a tune- came with the car. I'm the 2nd owner) develops about 17psi of peak boost (off the intake manifold) according to my IPD R-style gauge. I try not to push it that hard too often (especially with my wife in the car).

Ars Gladius
10-19-2013, 07:54 AM
Where did you get the silicone lines from or did they come with the car?

When you are inspecting the lines, are they all snug or super loose (without the clamps), do they still feel loose with the clamps? It may be that the ID (inside diameter) is too large and not matter how much you clamp them, they will never be secure as the line only distorts and doesn't evenly compress as well as a normal rubber line may.

I have the IPD lines on my boost control circuit and have had no issues, though I have not tuned yet. All the connections were snug in the barbs. The only thing I notice was that the stock clamps (used new ones) were a bit looser on the silicone tube as the OD was a bit smaller then stock, but they seem to have tightened up nicely.

guyeye
10-19-2013, 09:23 AM
I did all the silicone (OEM was weeping and nasty).
IPD OTE-turbo pipe coupler.
IPD OTE-IC.
Snabb IC-ETM.
Snabb turbo intake.

All make nice positive connections when pushed on (no stretching, but no play). All clamps are tightened to the point of 30% silicone compression and the clamp is cranked down as far as I'm comfortable cranking it (from experience).
It only blows off when I'm at my max boost. Poking around on the web, most tuners recommend t-bars. My Snabb IC to ETM pipe came with them to assemble the unit. I've found a pretty good selection at Jegs.com

billr99
10-20-2013, 04:17 AM
I use "T-bar" clamps on my IPD tubes and have never had any indications of slippage. Plus they don't dig into the tube material as well.

Cheers,

Bill