PDA

View Full Version : How to fix the incorrect averaged MPH reading showed on message display

swimNdrive
10-18-2013, 12:39 PM
Just noticed the average MPH reading on my message display is 24 MPH. I am 100% sure this is not correct. I hit the reset before filling up my tank for a long trip to clear out the data so I could get a fresh data set on how the car was doing. After more than 400 miles driving on the freeway at a speed over 75 miles/hour 90% of the time, the average MPH shown was almost the same. Other data shown were all making sense but this one.

Can anyone tell me if this was operator error or this is indeed a problem? Is this something I can fix myself or dealer only? This is not affecting driving in anyway, but it will be nice to see all the display messages making sense. If this is going to cost me a lot of money, I will live with it. Thanks

JRL
10-18-2013, 01:06 PM
You probably did not reset this properly.
Hoe exactly did you reset the MPH readout?

swimNdrive
10-18-2013, 02:14 PM
You probably did not reset this properly.
Hoe exactly did you reset the MPH readout?

When I pressed the reset button, I held on to it for a few seconds until the display showed the MGP message zeroed out. I was thinking that would reset everything. Was I correct? I did not pay any attention to the MPH message at all until I was well into my trip. Then I started to think the number looked strange. Can you tell me what is the correct way to rest MPH? Are there different ways to reset different messages? I did not get an owner's manual from the PO. I will try to get an online version to see how this supposed to work. Thanks

Leto Atreides II
10-18-2013, 02:54 PM
They get reset separately. You need to reset the Avg MPH while the Avg MPH is showing. You only reset the MPG not the MPH.

JRL
10-18-2013, 03:14 PM
Everyone needs to be reset separately (as was said)
You may have done it right, maybe not, but with the slightest bit of stop and go and idling... that number goes WAY down

swimNdrive
10-18-2013, 06:31 PM
That's very interesting. I will give another try and see how it goes. Thanks everyone.

Ars Gladius
10-18-2013, 06:43 PM
The average speed is usless IMO; no matter what you do it always seems to end back up at 24 MPH / 40 KM/H over time.

It is always calculating that number while the engine is running, it doesn't take long with a speed of 0 or close to it, to drag the average down, even if you do mostly highway driving.

swimNdrive
10-18-2013, 07:19 PM
The average speed is usless IMO; no matter what you do it always seems to end back up at 24 MPH / 40 KM/H over time.

It is always calculating that number while the engine is running, it doesn't take long with a speed of 0 or close to it, to drag the average down, even if you do mostly highway driving.

Good to hear that I am not the only one getting that kind of numbers. That's how the car does the calculation. If I zero it out right before getting on to an open freeway and continually driving for a few hours at freeway speed, it should show me a meaningful number while I still driving I hope.

IMSITTINGINYOURCHAIR
10-20-2013, 12:48 AM
Mine shows 34 mph most of the time, I do about 475 miles/two weeks. I reset it before I left work and when I got home...bam 34 mph. but before I hit town it was at 45 mph although the longest stretch (12~14 miles) are done at 55-70 mph with no stopping.