PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Washer Tank Cracked 2006 XC70

hightest
10-18-2013, 06:31 AM
Hi,

I just poured a jug of washer fluid into my windshield washer reservoir and it all leaked out. Does anyone know how easy it is to changet the tank? I need to do it soon as the snow will be flying soon.

cheers!

jda2000
10-18-2013, 06:35 AM
you need to remove the front bumper to get to it

hightest
10-18-2013, 06:39 AM
Is that something I can do or do I need to take it to a shop?

JRL
10-18-2013, 07:42 AM
If you can remove the bumper, you can change it out
It's sort of a PIA to get at, hence bumper removal.

Swagger XC
10-18-2013, 12:41 PM
Mine expanded to the point to where it could no longer be recognized. It's worth it to get a quote from your Indy as when I was planing to do it my-self but it was actually cheaper to have it done my Indy. If it's to expensive then just do it yourself.

jsimons944
10-18-2013, 07:44 PM
Is that something I can do or do I need to take it to a shop?

Removing the front bumper is a 2-man job, just because it is so awkward. There's a tech paper on this in the Library.

The clamps on the front edge of the wheel wells need to be released.
Two plugs in the front of the bumper need to be pried open, to access the bolts.
The push plugs need to be removed from the top edge. You will destroy them, so just figure on buying new ones from the local auto parts store.
As I recall, you need to unplug the fog lights.

I thought this would be a big deal, but its really not.

Re-installing is the reverse, and is when you really need the other set of hands to get it in place to tighten the wheel well clamps.

Once you get to the bumper off, the tank is easy to access. You might be lucky, as the pump is a friction fit into the tank, and it might be loose. One of the hoses might be loose, also.

If something is just loose, take the opportunity to pull the pump and clean the screen on the inboard side of the pump, and flush any crap that might be in the bottom of the tank. With the pump out, a garden hose will give the tank a good flush.

Hope this helps,

Jim